Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Experienced, reliable British Babysitter available in Balham, Clapham, Tooting, Streatham, Wandsworth etc

(26 Posts)
Becles Mon 28-Jan-08 20:43:27

I have over 10 years experience looking after children of all ages, from newborn. I am outgoing, friendly and reliable with excellent checkable references.

I really do love working with children and I am a veteran of many school runs, and enjoy working with parents to help children make the most of our time together.

I have a current enhanced police check (CRB) and am a registered First aider. I have a clean driving licence, am a non-smoker who enjoys playing games and cooking.

Please contact me, I would love to meet your family and find out if I am a suitable fit!

I am available most evenings and some weekends as well.

If you need a reliable and trustworthy sitter, contact me.

Available for immediate start

imagineafullnightsleep Fri 01-Feb-08 12:14:45

Hi Becles,

I live in Dulwich - about a 10-15 min drive from Clapham. I might be interested in a regular babysitting arrangement (evenings). Could you tell me how much you charge ? (My son is 16 months old).
Also, I may need some help with nursery runs. Basically, both mself and my partner have new jobs so might need some help. It would be 07.30 until 08.00 (basically, getting ds out of bed, getting him dressed and taking him to nursery - which starts at 8am. Nursery is exactly 1 mile from home). Then, someone to pick him up from nursery ay 6pm, and bring him home. Once home he has a snack, then a bottle, then a bath then bed ! I am usually home between 6 and 6.30pm pending traffic - however, we are basically looking for someone who could help us on a more regular basis.
Could you let me know if this is something you could do ? And if it is, what kind of price you would charge ? If you want to e.mail me back then please feel free (rlc_2222 at hotmail dot com)

batters Fri 01-Feb-08 12:24:30

Am I the only person wondering why the fact that you are British has any relevance on your ability to look after children?

coppertop Fri 01-Feb-08 12:25:57

Not just you, Batters.

lunavix Fri 01-Feb-08 12:28:20

Nope, me too.

dalek Fri 01-Feb-08 12:32:59

Me too - what does it mean? English speaking? White?

batters Fri 01-Feb-08 12:34:14

I want to know WHY this is relevant. I just don't get it.

JennaJ Fri 01-Feb-08 12:37:42

I think its probably as much to indicate that the op is fluent in English.... lots of parents I work for like british/ kiwi etc nannies as they are totally fluent in english.

If the op had written fluent english speaker..it would be implying that she is foreign..which she isn't!

Why is it a problem?..if a polish nanny has put fab polish nanny available would it have been a problem??

Jenna

coppertop Fri 01-Feb-08 12:41:25

But presumably the fact that the OP is posting in English on here would indicate that they can speak English. Why mention being British?

batters Fri 01-Feb-08 12:48:48

Agree with coppertop and the fact that it is considered to be so important it is in the title of the thread is odd, IMO.

imagineafullnightsleep Fri 01-Feb-08 12:51:24

Why not mention that she is British ? She is British !! I really don't see the problem either way. If she had put Aussie / Kiwi whatever, would people have a problem ? It is simply a description.

MotherFunk Fri 01-Feb-08 12:52:02

Message withdrawn

batters Fri 01-Feb-08 12:59:54

But I don't see why it has any relevance on her child care abilities (as per my previous post).

Heathcliffscathy Fri 01-Feb-08 13:00:37

i don't think there is anything wrong with it, and being of (very) mixed race i'm sensitised to racism...

british is a bonus because you're talking about someone for whom english is a first language (a valuable commodity in the london childcare market).

Heathcliffscathy Fri 01-Feb-08 13:02:04

and i don't assume for a second that british means white.

think it's interesting that a poster has brought that up as a possibly implication of stating that someone is british....

MotherFunk Fri 01-Feb-08 13:38:43

Message withdrawn

Heathcliffscathy Fri 01-Feb-08 16:36:14

i don't think it is pc, but i do think it is a bit paranoid!

NiftyNanny Fri 01-Feb-08 18:26:55

i think you're overreacting a bit. I use the term "native english speaker" in my ads or applications. I think that was the point she was trying to make, and yes, some people put "Kiwi Nanny" or "Polish Nanny" and I don't think you would've jumped on them.

it's PC gawn maaaaaaad, I tell thee.

scottishmummy Fri 01-Feb-08 18:34:20

i dont think the OP is offensive stating she is British, i would imagine a kiwi/polish/Irish/Scottish nanny might mention it

my friend has a preference for kiwi nannies (and she is English) after working Auckland

frannikin Fri 01-Feb-08 19:27:38

I state that I'm British when looking for work (well, my nationality is on my CV) - I speak English fluently and it's legal for me to work in the UK. If I was French I'd probably still say it...or Australian....or Chinese.

It has no relevance to childcare ability, true. But it has legal and linguistic implications. Tnerefore it might be worth mentioning.

RahRahRachel Fri 01-Feb-08 21:06:33

I've stated "English nanny" before in a gumtree ad - just an easy way of saying, native English speaker, no visa issues, CRB check is going to be straight forward etc. My nationality may not affect my ability to care for children but those other factors are important too.

If she had said "Spanish babysitter" you'd immediately know she spoke Spanish and was an EU citizen - things you may be looking for!

nannyj Sat 02-Feb-08 11:05:05

My nationality is on my cv too.

Becles Tue 05-Feb-08 00:14:10

I'm sorry if anyone was offended by by being / stating I was 'British', however, if I was French and had those selling points to offer, I would also mention that.

As RahRahRachel stated, this is an efficient shorthand for language skills, employment history & CRB checkability (is that a word?) and means that what I have to offer is clear at first glance and clients can move on if they have different criteria.

sukiesue Wed 06-Feb-08 10:34:45

Hi Becles, Are you still availble? I am planning to go back to work part-time and neeed childcare for my 9 mth old. It may well fit in with arrangements you already have so would be worth discussing.

kgarner Tue 28-Oct-08 11:24:22

Hi Becles,

I sometimes need a babysitter on an ad hoc basis during the day for my 11-month old boy, who I could bring to you. Would that be suitable for you? If so, please do let me know how much you would charge per hour.

Best wishes,

Kathleen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now