Talk

Advanced search

Key worker status

(18 Posts)
glitterelf Tue 12-Jan-21 12:57:52

How many childminders are using the key worker status to send their own children into school ?

OP’s posts: |
Apple40 Tue 12-Jan-21 13:24:42

Nope, mine are home where they are safe, I have no need for them to be in school taking the place of a child who may need the space more.

ToastandJamandTea Tue 12-Jan-21 13:27:05

Nope I'm keeping mine at home.

glitterelf Tue 12-Jan-21 14:38:12

I've kept mine home too was just curious as I've seen another childminder quite annoyed that her school won't take her children in under the key worker status.

Maryann1975 Tue 12-Jan-21 14:42:17

I’ve sent mine and no other cms who have too. I have 3 or 4 little ones each day. Trying to manage home schooling would have meant Me giving notice to some of the children As I couldn’t do both, so I sent mine in.

WitchesBritchesPumpkinPants Tue 12-Jan-21 14:43:03

glitterelf

I've kept mine home too was just curious as I've seen another childminder quite annoyed that her school won't take her children in under the key worker status.

Would it be down to ages of them all & permitted numbers?

I can sort of understand why she's annoyed if it means she has to tell some parents she can't have their DC (if the school won't take hers).

Im
Not a CM, but if I was I would have my kids at home & fewer mindees, but for some it would be the difference between paying her own bills & not, so why is that any different to say a supermarket employee?

WitchesBritchesPumpkinPants Tue 12-Jan-21 14:45:12

Maryann1975

I’ve sent mine and no other cms who have too. I have 3 or 4 little ones each day. Trying to manage home schooling would have meant Me giving notice to some of the children As I couldn’t do both, so I sent mine in.

Personally I wouldn't have sent mine in, in your circumstances, I'd have just muddled through if I was allowed the numbers.

glitterelf Tue 12-Jan-21 14:56:11

@Maryann1975 Is it because of ratios or that you wouldn't be able to manage, don't mean that in an arsey way, I've actually closed to non key worker and non vulnerable families obviously we discussed it first and all parties were happy with that. This does mean a reduction in my earnings though but I just wasn't happy to have my child going in mixing with multiple households then mixing with my minded children too. Just this last month I've known quite a lot of people who've tested positive so I'm really just trying to do my bit to keep us all safe.

Maryann1975 Tue 12-Jan-21 16:17:15

Not really about the money, we could survive on dhs pay for a bit and I’ve claimed the third grant as I’ve lost all my after school children.
I’ve only got one eyfs who isn’t a critical worker/vulnerable child and he is only 2 days a week so wouldn’t cut my numbers enough even if I said I was closing to them (and actually thats the child who needs to be in childcare the most really).
I kept them home for two days last week and it really didn’t work. Their school expect them online most of the day, following their timetable and one of the dc have extra issues that mean online learning just doesn’t work. They did no work at all last lockdown as they refused to engage with it at all. So sending them to school is actually the best thing for them as well as keeping me working for the critical workers that are relying on me.

Tanith Wed 13-Jan-21 13:32:10

I've sent my DD in. She's in year 7 with online classes and there are only 3 or 4 other children in her school who are going in (all nursery workers, I believe!). I explained our job to the head teacher and she wanted her in!

We have up to 6 Early Years children here, plus a couple of key worker school children for wrap around care. We also have DS trying to do his online University course here, though he's saying he may go back if he can at the end of the month.

I'm testing DD weekly and she was also tested at school, too. I believe, thanks to their procedures, she's a lot safer there than here.
So far the school have had no cases this term: four of our parents have notified us that they are isolating after the Christmas holiday due to positive cases.

We're all making the best decisions we can, based on our own circumstances.

glitterelf Wed 13-Jan-21 14:32:21

@Maryann1975 That's totally understandable. It's really difficult juggling everything with work, schooling and ever changing advice.

Bonkerz Wed 13-Jan-21 14:36:21

My 9 year olds home. I have baby twins and a 2 year old most days 🙈

My 15 year old has gone but that's mental health, adhd and autism related

glitterelf Wed 13-Jan-21 14:41:47

@Tanith There are reports of lots of schools calling in children to return, in a school like yours with such a small amount of pupils in it isn't a big issue but for other schools it's disastrous. My child is in Yr 2 and they have 2 classes split into YR,YR1 and YR2 and then YR3,YR4,YR5 and YR6 in the other which are two full sized classes now and not what they were doing in the first lockdown. This is a big factor in why she's staying home.
Can I ask how you are getting your child tested weekly outside of the school tests ?

glitterelf Wed 13-Jan-21 14:43:38

@Bonkerz I did chuckle reading your name then post it's extremely fitting grin
You are very brave I'm quite lucky that my numbers have reduced slightly but it's still manic here.

StacySoloman Wed 13-Jan-21 14:43:49

School did call and ask if I wanted a space but I'm keeping mine home. I have cut right back on minded children so I can home school though.

Bonkerz Wed 13-Jan-21 15:07:44

glitterelf

*@Bonkerz* I did chuckle reading your name then post it's extremely fitting grin
You are very brave I'm quite lucky that my numbers have reduced slightly but it's still manic here.

Lmao the name kind of fitted back in 2003 too when I adopted it

Tanith Wed 13-Jan-21 15:29:15

Glitterelf Some of the medical suppliers had kits for sale. Gompels is one and I think Medisave was another. They very quickly sold out, but I think they have more for sale now.

When DS was at university last term, they were testing him every fortnight. It seemed like a good idea so, when I saw them for sale, I bought some.

I think they're lobbying for Early Years settings to be given them as well. They aren't available yet but, if they are, they'll be free.

glitterelf Wed 13-Jan-21 15:37:56

I've signed petitions for early years practitioners to receive the testing regularly and for us to receive the vaccine.
Oh and for funding to be decent. It's never ending is it we're always left to fend for ourselves.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in