Talk

Advanced search

Ratios: 3 or 4 under fives?

(9 Posts)
SallyTheSloth Sun 01-Nov-20 15:22:48

Hiya, can anyone help me figure out if this is within ratio or not please?

Childminder currently has-
A 3 year old
An almost 3 year old
An almost 2 year old

They can’t then take on a baby under 1 can they as they’ve already got three under fives/young children?
Having 1 under one isn’t as well as having the three, it’s you can have a maximum of 1 under 1 as part of the three right?

Could someone clarify please! Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Apple40 Sun 01-Nov-20 21:25:36

Hi, the guidance is 3 under 5. However they can go to 4 under 5 if they themselves have a baby or one the families they are already caring for have another baby.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 01-Nov-20 21:29:14

Yes they are the basic ratios but there are exceptions allowed, a sibling of a current mindee being one of them.

TammyTwoSawnson Sun 01-Nov-20 21:29:20

I thought they could only have 4 under 5 if it included a set of twins, or if one of the kids was 4, but in reception, or the summer before starting reception.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 01-Nov-20 21:36:06

TammyTwoSawnson

I thought they could only have 4 under 5 if it included a set of twins, or if one of the kids was 4, but in reception, or the summer before starting reception.

No and actually 2/3 of those examples are not legit exceptions but there are others not listed.

Tanith Mon 02-Nov-20 13:03:07

They can have six under 8s. That is the set-in-stone must-not-go-over number. Some childminders will be allowed less due to space restrictions and their own children are included in the numbers.
The basic ratio is six under 8s, of whom three may be under 5: one of those three may be a baby under 1.

So long as they can provide adequate care they can be reasonably flexible with the ratios within that number.
So it's possible to have four under 5s and two over 5s, for example.
Ofsted would want to see evidence that they could cope with two babies if it was queried.
So an experienced childminder with three under 5s, one of whom is 6 months and another 11 months would probably be ok: twins would be OK.
Six 8 month olds would not be OK!

SallyTheSloth Mon 02-Nov-20 19:05:23

Thank you everyone, you see why I’ve had trouble finding out as there is a level of ambiguity about it!
@Tanith that is exactly what she has explained to me now and is doing- having 4 under 5s, because she’s carefully assessed it and the circumstances, so at least I know now it is allowed and I feel comfortable now it’s been explained and we’ve had a proper chat about it.
Thank you all!

OP’s posts: |
SMaCM Tue 03-Nov-20 10:43:56

The rules also changed a while back, which not everyone is aware of. Childminders have been given more flexibility.

jannier Wed 04-Nov-20 16:47:10

Yes its actually up to 6 if risk assessed and she can prove she can meet all the needs but then no 5 to 8s....most wont do this many and it shouldn't be ongoing as in one leaves so I replace.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in