Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Does it cost a lot of money to train as a childminder ?

(5 Posts)
Summerfruitfullofscaryworms Fri 05-Oct-07 10:55:38

Hi everybody !!

I want to train as a childminder but I have been told on another forum that you have to give 1000 to 2000 to get the training ! Is it true ?? I cant give so much money in one go !!! sad

moonstar04 Fri 05-Oct-07 11:08:36

Thre training is free as far as I know, but takes place over a period of weeks then you have to have an exam.

You may be able to get a start up grant depending on where you live. Any additional start up costs will be offset on your accounts. You may already have alot of toys etc.

I am sure the other s will be able to help with this question.

Good luck

chel86 Fri 05-Oct-07 14:34:46

The training costs £100 - you pay £50 and if you become registered within 6 months of doing th course the council will pay the other £50, otherwise they will ask you to pay it. Training takes place over 7 weeks normally. You then have to pay for insurance, which cost me £35 for the year. Making sure your house is ready for inspection - I had to buy a few more hand towels and flannels etc. And then cost of advertising. Within 6 months of registering you have to pass a first aid course, but some councils offer a bursary for this.

Ghostashoshabuster Fri 05-Oct-07 14:39:59

Depends where you are I think, in Dorset the training is free, and you get a start up grant of about £300.00 (this includes your NCMA menbership and first yeasr Insurance)

Phone your surestart they will tell you.

mogs0 Fri 05-Oct-07 14:46:38

My course was free in London! Also, the council here offer lots of other courses for free to CMs. I did get a grant but had to use some of it to get the NCMA toolbox. I think there was about £200 left afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now