Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies and cars

(12 Posts)
Surr3ymummy Mon 01-Oct-07 12:58:10

What expectation do Nannies have about car provision? We have a part-time (3 days) Nanny. She has her own car, and we pay her petrol money at 40p a mile (which includes an element for depreciation, maintenance as well as the actual cost of the petrol.)

She has mentioned that "most" nannies have cars provided, and that she is struggling with the cost of hers and really doesn't want to use it for work.

She needs a car to be able to get to work, and also because she likes to take our son (1 yr) out and about during the day. She also does occasional school runs for older children, (which we could manage without if necessary). So whilst a car isn't essential from our point of view, I think it probably is from a sanity/getting out of the house perspective.

We live in a village, which does have baby group and swings etc nearby - but understandably she would rather go into the nearest town for activities.

However, we can't afford to provide her a car. I think we pay a fair salary (£10 gross ph). Having said that I don't want to lose her either (she is very good!).

I would be grateful for some feedback about whether car provision or even use (we could look at putting her on our insurance) is standard? Any other suggestions welcome..

NomDeBroomstick Mon 01-Oct-07 13:03:07

FWIW, I don't think there is a hard and fast rule.

Can the nanny not use public transport ?

frannikin Mon 01-Oct-07 13:06:07

A lot of nannies do use the family car - more because the family car is bigger than the nanny's and therefore more practical (I drive a Ka for example and there's no way I could fit everything in.).

It's nore usual to put the nanny on the insurance than buy a car. A car the nanny uses not just in work time is counted as a taxable benefit, which is something you may want to consider

jura Mon 01-Oct-07 13:16:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Squiffy Mon 01-Oct-07 13:25:00

I would never give a nanny a car to help her get to/from work but do think if you are living in an isolated area she should be put on the insurance of the family car, at least for some of her workdays.

We did this by getting a complete rustbucket as a third car that I use just to ferry myself to and from station on workdays. I would never in a million years put my kids in it, but having it there as a spare means we can free up the nice safe Mazda5 for DN. DN uses her own rustbucket to get to/from work, and everyone is happy all round (especially local garage which services said rustbuckets)

fifilou Mon 01-Oct-07 15:22:19

Hi there- I have a nanny car, but this was on offer when i started the job 7 years ago. I dont think a car is essential but it does help. Although I use the car alot, I bike with the children too (great exercise and great for the environment) little trailers that attatch to the bike are great and very popular around our way.

When I statred I had my own car that i used to get to and from work, and used the nanny car for work. This seemed crazy so i sold my car and now use the nanny car all of the time including wknds. I think I'm privaliged to have a nanny car- I certainly dont think I HAVE to have it.

the wage you pay your nanny- i take it thats net per hour? The petrol seems resonbale too, best thing is to sit down and chat, let her know that buying a car isnt really possibe financially unless she was willing to take a pay cut perhaps?

jura Mon 01-Oct-07 15:34:28

Whooosh Mon 01-Oct-07 15:49:56

We bought a brand new nannyc ar when I had dd (doh!).
First nanny only used it Mon-Fri as she used her own at weekends to go back home.
Nanny no 2 uses it all the time,weekends as well and has managed to scratch,bump and break various things on it-with no offer to get it sorted grrrr.
We also (out of the kindness of our hearts) bought her a satnav which she broke 2 weeks ago and has done nothing about.
The car is almost always in a pretty grubby state.

I guess what I am saying is,if I had my time again-I wouldn't get a nanny car becasue not only is there the purchase orice,depreciation,tax and insurance-there cane be a LOT of wear and tear!

I think what you are offering is perfectly reasonable.

Whooosh Mon 01-Oct-07 15:50:33

Oh I really should preview my posts-apologies for typos,

nannynick Mon 01-Oct-07 22:20:43

As a 5-day per week, term time nanny, my employer does not provide a car, and neither do I get 40p per mile for using my car. While this 40p per mile figure is nice to be able to offer, if the nanny does a lot of miles each week (I often do over 80 miles a week), then the cost can get rather high. Thus employer and employee can agree a lower mileage rate.

£10 gross ph is quite a bit more than I get. Based on your username, I assume you are in a Surrey village... I work in Surrey village as well. Surrey alas is a big country, so pay rates do vary quite a bit, but as you say the salary you offer is fair, and you are paying 40p per mile for private car use (and you don't mention any mileage limits you impose), so I feel you are being a very nice employer.

As others have said, if the nanny was live-in the having use of the employers car at times, is more common. But for live-out nannies, I feel that the nanny using their own car is more common... certainly amongst nannies I know. If the employer provides a car for a live-out nanny, it is definitely a good perk... but as another poster also mentioned, there can be difficulties with it being seen as a taxable benefit.

Surr3ymummy Tue 02-Oct-07 13:25:44

Nannynick - yes am in a Surrey village - south of Guildford. We don't have a limit on the mileage - although, as you say, if she did a lot it would quickly get expensive and we'd probably need to look at it.

All - thanks for the input, we will probably put her on our insurance and give her the option of using our car (estate car so more awkward to park etc) or hers and having the mileage.

jura Tue 02-Oct-07 14:14:51

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now