Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

URGENT - please help me decide between two candidates for after-school care!

(11 Posts)
bossykate Mon 01-Oct-07 10:30:31

The job is for after-school and nursery childcare for ds (6) and dd (3) from 4 - 8pm, with some light housework included.

Candidate 1

Nigerian chap, undergraduate, approx 4yrs experience of looking after children aged 4 - 15. Excellent references for both childcare and housework. Job fits well with the timetable for his studies. By a quirk of fate, his previous jobs have focused more on the breakfast/morning routine that the supper/bath/bed routine, although i think he did this on occasion, it was not part of the regular deal.

Candidate 2.

Bulgarian girl. Has done 6 months as an au-pair, now wanting to live-out. Good references as to childcare and housework, except (1) the job was really for 12m rather than 6m (but parted on good terms from family and (2) needs a lot of detailed guidance - but performs well when she has had it. She doesn't have another job and will probably try to find a morning one to fit in around this one she says.

Bearing in mind what i really want is someone kind, responsible, reliable and conscientious - whom should i choose!

dh and i think they would both be fine!

dustystar Mon 01-Oct-07 10:32:13

I'd go for candidate one from what you've written

bossykate Mon 01-Oct-07 10:42:28

thank you, dustystar.

having written it out, it actually seems a no-brainer to choose candidate 1! i think my issue is that he is a "manny" blush

JustcallmeMAT Mon 01-Oct-07 10:44:36

I'd go for no.1 also

bossykate Mon 01-Oct-07 11:09:44

any more? i have to actually commit myself soon! tia smile

frannikin Mon 01-Oct-07 13:09:26

I'd go for candidate 1 - would be nice for your son to have a male role model too!

Twiglett Mon 01-Oct-07 13:11:30

Candidate 1

if your gut says so that is

Squiffy Mon 01-Oct-07 13:27:02

It is a no-brainer. go for it.

bossykate Mon 01-Oct-07 14:09:42

thanks all. i have made the offer to No 1. smile

let's hope he works out, we have had v. bad luck with this in the past!

nannynick Mon 01-Oct-07 22:36:51

Good for you bossykate, Candidate 1 seems by far the best to me. It is still legal for a domestic employer to discriminate against a potential employee based on gender alone - as sex discrimination act does not apply... so as a "manny", I am glad that you didn't judge this on gender.

bossykate Tue 02-Oct-07 10:22:35

thanks, nannynick, hoped you would see this smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now