Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Racism, does it still exist in childminding?

(11 Posts)
room101 Sun 30-Sep-07 11:06:09

We are a non-white family looking for a childminder and it's taking us surprisingly long to find childcare. Be interested to hear from other similar families...

PrincessGoodLife Sun 30-Sep-07 11:18:52

no direct experience but wondered what the problem was? And bumping for you at the same time. Are you getting no replies, or are you finding that CMs have no spaces?

LoveMyGirls Sun 30-Sep-07 11:22:06

Im a childminder and have no issues with other cultures/ religions etc I'm white myself so if for eg i look after a child who happens to be muslim I just ask that parents inform me of things like if they do or don't recognise christmas or if the family don't eat pork/ beef etc as i'm no expert in other cultures but i am willing to learn about it and teach the other children in my care. I see no reason why we cannot teach the next generation to be more accepting and live together! If we were all exactly the same and all wore the same clothes, ate the same food, drove the same car etc etc the world would be very very boring!

How long have you been looking for childcare, where are you? Have you looked on the childcare link website?

blessingchild Sun 30-Sep-07 13:50:02

Why do you think it is taking you so long to find one? Is there a shortage of CMs with vacancies in the area in which you live? Have you visited any yet and what was there response? I am a non white CM and I would not think colour has anything to do with it as most CM would have an equal opportunity policy. Keep on looking and I hope you find one soon.

RubySlippers Sun 30-Sep-07 13:52:35

childcare can generally take ages to find
nurseries and childminders where I live are booked up (literally) months in advance
DS's nursery has an 8 month waiting list

thebumcleaner Sun 30-Sep-07 16:23:51

I look after an African little girl, and mum and dad have no problems that I know of. I happened to have a space at the time, but I know that around me there are maybe only 1 or 2 spaces left with childminders in the whole town as we are in demand here!

Did you look on the children's information service website for vacancies?

edam Sun 30-Sep-07 16:28:37

What makes you think racism is a factor?

alibubbles Sun 30-Sep-07 18:38:42

I have looked after mixed race, black, carribean, muslim, it doesn't make any difference to me, they are all children and all beautiful!

I would welcome any opportunity to make my setting as diverse as possible. In fact I run a creche for Asian women and their children so they can learn to help their children with their hoemwork etc.

Lyndag Sun 30-Sep-07 22:32:55

Many years ago (over 15 yrs) my mum used to be a child minder.....and she used to have people from all different races/religions and cultures (this was based in Swindon) and had no issue with it. The parents were clear about their expectations with regards to foods and my mum was with them....she never turned anyone away when she had a vacancy. I really hope to find a good childminder like my mum was near to where I live now (Essex). My mum used to take them to mothers and toddlers group and teddy bears picnics etc... she was great I just wished she still did it and lived nearby grin

MaureenMLove Sun 30-Sep-07 22:51:07

Well it certainly doesn't exist where I childmind. I mind 8 children atm, 4 of which have cultures/religions different to mine. If you truely believe that it is a racial problem and not just that the CM's you've contacted so far can't accommodate you, then you need to speak to OFSTED. Personally, I love the diversity of my families. And some of the food I get given is fantastic! grin

feelingfedup Mon 01-Oct-07 08:31:39

as long as racism exists in people, then racism will be found in all sections of society - why should childminding be any different?

But - that might have little to do with your problems finding childcare. Are you paying enough, have you found plenty of childminders with vacancies? have you given yourself enough time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now