Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny has asked for a performance assessment - anyone got any guidance / forms / ideas on how to do it?

(27 Posts)
SittingBull Thu 27-Sep-07 04:27:58

Message withdrawn

SittingBull Thu 27-Sep-07 06:51:04

Message withdrawn

eleusis Thu 27-Sep-07 08:59:07

How long has she been there? Do you think she is looking for a review or a raise? And if you think she is looking for a raise, are you happy to give one?

WindyAnna Thu 27-Sep-07 11:28:38

Hi

I've got a form which I've used with a nanny - adapted from one I'd use at work - if you want to CAT me I will send it on.

MightyMoosh Thu 27-Sep-07 12:08:59

Does she know you think shes excellent? I seem to spend half my day worrying if what im doing as a nanny is good enough.

WindyAnna Thu 27-Sep-07 12:32:46

One of the reasons I do reviews with my nannies is so that they know what I think of them! I also try to let them know informally between reviews too - if I think tehre is a problem I'll address it straight away but I also think it's important to praise when it's deserved.

WindyAnna Thu 27-Sep-07 12:34:30

Forgot to say that the review covers what their 'tasks' are and whether they achieve them but also how they go about it ... and also set development objectives for the next year (if they want to - some don't, some do)

Anchovy Thu 27-Sep-07 12:40:11

I do this as well - I think its important to ensure that you both keep an eye on the fact that it is a job (particularly because I'm always saying to my nanny "look at them, they are so lovely, how could anyone expect to be paid for the privilege of looking after them" smile).

I think it is also useful to review how the job has changed and what your DCs changed requirements are (for example DS now has homework, and our nanny does the first go at it and DH or I finesse it later in the evening). I also ask her if there is anything about the children she thinks we need to work on, or if there is anything which she would like to do differently. Plus we also look forward - I reassured her that the fact DD was doing school every day would have no impact at all on our needs/requirements.

Bink Thu 27-Sep-07 13:06:51

Our nanny stays to dinner with dh & me once a month (well, it's meant to be once a month but because she & I talk a lot the formal thing tends to happen more like every two months) and I have a little "running agenda" of things we talk about each time - am I leaving her enough float? Has she been getting all her payslips OK? Has she set a date for her wedding yet? Are the children growing out of anything? Where have we got to with her Childcare Approval process (gloriously, that one has been DONE as of last week)?

The agenda just lists stuff that is relevant to us, though - I'd be keen to see yours, WindyAnna, as it sounds more generic & might cover things we are missing in our rather ad hoc approach.

Bink Thu 27-Sep-07 13:13:48

Just had a look at ours (we have our next dinner set for next Tuesday) - it also covers:

- holiday plans (hers and ours)
- whether regular provisioning (veg box etc.) is as wanted; any adjustments to diet we think might be needed
- homework schedules & processes (these change all the time)
- AOB ... her chance to say if she's happy

(She knows we think she's fantastic - I'm a bit at risk of overdoing that bit)

Anchovy Thu 27-Sep-07 13:15:04

Spot the lawyers here, Bink!

Issy Thu 27-Sep-07 13:20:01

Thanks all. Now I'm returning from the land of the semi-dead, you've reminded me that I should arrange a 3 month review with our new au-pairs and, at their request, specify one evening a week for them to eat with us. They are really very keen to improve their English and this is one way to do it.

I'm a bit concerned about DH's burgeoning relationship with the male side of our au-pair couple. I came across DH yesterday in the garage wistfully stroking a new wooden panel that the au pair had very cleverly fashioned and inserted into our mouldering garage doors. "He thinks just like me!" sighed DH.

Bink Thu 27-Sep-07 13:21:18

When Anchovy mentioned lawyers I was wondering just when, genii-like, we would see Issy. Hello!

Issy Thu 27-Sep-07 13:25:38

Hello my fellow-lawyers - I have a fabulous little text-editing tool that alerts me every time the words 'nanny' or 'lawyer' appear in Mnet with a double alert if they should appear in the same thread.

Actually, after nearly two weeks of languishing on the sofa reading a pile of novels that will never make it onto any booklist compiled by Bink, I'm not sure I deserve to be re-admitted into the ranks of lawyers.

Bink Thu 27-Sep-07 13:35:55

How are you feeling (hijack hijack)? My little niece has been diagnosed with BP recently, so I am hoping you say Full of Beans, Never Fuller.

Issy Thu 27-Sep-07 13:41:12

[Hijack] Thanks Bink, I'm feeling much much better. I haven't recovered my normal levels of energy and stamina/beans but I'm getting there. The BP really hasn't been the problem - a colleague rather amusingly described it as 'free botox' - it was much more a post-viral fatigue type thing. I'm going to the US for a business trip the week after next, but beyond that I'm cancelling pretty much everything except work for the next two or three weeks. Dull but necessary and rather nicely coinciding with our self-imposed spending freeze!

How is your niece doing?

SittingBull Thu 27-Sep-07 16:11:24

Message withdrawn

SittingBull Thu 27-Sep-07 16:13:09

Message withdrawn

Squiffy Thu 27-Sep-07 16:34:30

Have just skipped through our performance appraisal tool at work; the sections cover -

Key tasks and responsibilities (list them)

Main objectives of period under review, and were those objectives met/exceeded/etc, with comments

Marks 1-5 for a range of competencies - eg I guess stuff like "Nanny always praises when appropriate and never shouts" "Nanny serves varied and healthy food", "Nanny plans interesting activities" and so on.

then there is a section for developing objectives for the coming period of review (you don't finalise these without discussing first). This should include constructive stuff regarding any competancies where the person didn't score very highly in the previous section

finally there is a section for summarising the performance of the nanny over the period, taking into account all the previous stuff.

All a bit anal really, but I bet if your reviews are good it will be like golddust to her to be able to show these to perspective employers when she does eventually move on.

WindyAnna Thu 27-Sep-07 17:07:27

Hi SittingBull have sent you a CAT with my e-mail address on - reply to me and I'll send you the form.

eleusis Thu 27-Sep-07 17:46:42

Windy (and anyone else who has one), can I have one of these review templates as well?
eleusis at hotmail co uk

nannynick Thu 27-Sep-07 18:36:08

Issy - that sounds like a handy little tool, if it is for real... can I have it?

SittingBull, as a nanny I can't say I've ever really had a performance review. I used to work for the government and had many there, and think I would hate for the same sort of thing to be done for my nanny job. However, a more condensed review would I feel be productive - as being a nanny it is hard to know if I am meeting the parents expectations, or not.

Issy Thu 27-Sep-07 19:58:16

Sorry Nick - I made it up! Shame really as it would be a great timesaver.

SittingBull Thu 27-Sep-07 20:41:17

Message withdrawn

AIBUweeklyshop Fri 28-Sep-07 09:04:36

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: