Talk

Advanced search

15h funding confusion

(7 Posts)
glisteninginkcap Tue 30-Jun-20 10:39:19

Please can anyone help me to understand the free "15h" places for 2 year olds?

My 2 year old has been eligible since April, but as settings have been closed since his eligibility began and are only just starting to reopen, I just wondered what the situation is re: the funding?

I know it's not 15 hours per se, it's 570 hours to use over the year, and the 15h only applies if you're only accessing childcare during term time. So seeing as we haven't "used" any of those hours yet, do we still have them all available? I can't seem to find any definitive answers online and can't get through to anyone at the local council.

OP’s posts: |
timetodrinktea Tue 30-Jun-20 10:42:18

I don't think so- I have free hours until week of 13th July, then paying during summer holidays.

glisteninginkcap Tue 30-Jun-20 10:45:57

@timetodrinktea but I think some childcare providers "spread out" the hours over the holidays if you want to

OP’s posts: |
Apple40 Tue 30-Jun-20 14:18:40

Some providers offer the funded hours term time only and others will spread It out over the year so you have less to use each week but over all the same total number of hours. Had you registered with a childcare provider to offer you these hours prior to lockdown? Or looking to register now? Either way the hours for this term have been lost and can not be carried over to cover the Summer holidays, your funded hours will start again next term.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Tue 30-Jun-20 19:58:42

Agree either way they are lost hours. The gov continued to pay but on the condition the money was used for wage expenses. The % of furlough payment they received was based on how much public funding they already receive (ie they couldn’t claim twice).

Peach1204 Tue 30-Jun-20 20:08:42

If you are sending him in this term then you may be able to get some of the funding. Due to the circumstances the nursery should speak to their local authority and they will be able to advise what they can claim. You can't bank unused hours but may be able to claim for the rest of this term from when he starts.

Looneytune253 Mon 13-Jul-20 13:48:46

You may need to check as usually when you're eligible from April you would still have to wait until the term after. Unless you mean they had their bday before April? Also it's the end of term now so it's most likely too late to claim. You will have to claim from sept

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in