Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Wages again, sorry - any ideas on rates in Oxford?

(9 Posts)
choosyfloosy Tue 25-Sep-07 10:54:41

Have had a look round the archives but would really appreciate any help or ideas.

I'm interviewing this week for a p/t nanny to work afternoons, bringing own child. The two people I'm looking at are currently unregistered (that's just how it's worked out).

I'm planning to start the registration process with them immediately, paying them for hours worked and paying fees for courses, but not for time spent on them (negotiable of course). I then plan to give a pay rise once they are registered.

From the archives I'm guessing £7 p/h rising to £7.50 would not be completely unreasonable, but I'm not sure? I have one child of 3.5 who is pretty straightforward - I don't want any cleaning or house stuff done, just playing with him.

Please don't flame me if that's low, I've been in a nannyshare for ages and I've no idea what's OK!

choosyfloosy Tue 25-Sep-07 10:58:59

bump

Surr3ymummy Tue 25-Sep-07 11:50:11

You need to be clear whether the rate you're offering is gross or net. Many nannies prefer a net amount, but the recommendation is that employers pay a gross amount - better for both employers and nannies alike.

My part time nanny started on £8.50 gross per hour for 2 days a week (worked out at around £7.50 net), and after 6 months and registration came through we increased her pay to £10 an hour gross as she was increasing to 3 days and had settled in well and the tax burden was going up a bit due to the extra day - plus she was definitely worth it. £10 works out at about £8 net. We're in an expensive area - so your figure sounds about right if it's net. There is a salary survey here - www.nannytax.co.uk/news/wagestable06.html which should help.

Surr3ymummy Tue 25-Sep-07 11:52:02

just re-read your post and realised your nanny is bringing her own child - which might impact the pay rate as many people treat it as a nanny share. There are a couple of threads around on that you might want to read through.

eleusis Tue 25-Sep-07 11:53:03

If nanny is bringing her own child, you will still be in a nanny share. So that rates you pay would probably be comparable to what you have paid previously.

No idea about rates in oxford. Those figures sound reasonable to me, but I would definitely not offer a net wage to a part time job candidate. Or maybe you meant that as a gross wage in view of it being a share...

Lorayn Tue 25-Sep-07 11:56:29

For seven pound an hour and being able to take along DS I would think it a very good job tbh!!
We pay our childminder 3.50 an hour for the hour before school, and I was looking into doing childminding, maybe I should become a nanny instead!

eleusis Tue 25-Sep-07 11:59:03

Childminder fees do not equate to nanny salaries. A nanny is an employee and that is her total income. A childminder can take 3 kids at £6 per hour and hence make £18 per hour minus business expenses. It's not at all the same game.

Lorayn Tue 25-Sep-07 12:04:43

True.

choosyfloosy Tue 25-Sep-07 12:24:49

Many, many thanks for all comments. I did read a couple of the threads about nannies with their own children - haven't managed to find many other threads about this area etc.

I was thinking of this as a gross salary. The person I am hoping will be right is not qualified in childcare, although she has other qualifications in fields I think are relevant.

I'm glad to hear it's generous enough to seem reasonably attractive. I want quite a lot from her in terms of attention and active play - ds is a PFB after all!

thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now