Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - If someone needed you til 10pm.......would you do it????

(34 Posts)
looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 11:46:06

Seen an advert for someone wanting school runs but possible weekend care too. I need to phone them to ask full details of what they want but they mention some days from 5.45-10pm. I can't say I'm happy about having a pick up at this time as could wake my ds up and me and dh could be in bed. I do offer overnight care but not really late night care.

WWYD if you had an enquiry like this?

TIA

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 12:40:26

Anyone?

hennipenni Sun 23-Sep-07 12:44:48

Have done it before, but having been treated like sh** by the family I will never, ever do it again unless it's for an excisting mindee whose parents I know are very greatfull for what I do.

Sorry have sworn on two post now. Am feeling very down and pee'd of at mo.

MaureenMLove Sun 23-Sep-07 12:51:53

I think I'd be the same. Sounds to me, like the children are being pushed from pillar to post already and I don't think the parents can think too much about them, so they'd think even less about you. Its all very well being held up at work, when you finish at 5, but half an hour late at 10 at night, is not on.

Like Henni, I'd do an occasional for an existing mindee, if they were desparate, but not on a regular basis. I know the earning power is great, but it'll ruin your family life.

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 12:57:13

Just looked at the ad again and I THINK these extra shifts are one weekend every 4/5 weeks. Does this change your view? The school drop off is fine, although it's a 6.30 start again, just not so sure about the 10pm thing, think I'd say it would have to be overnight care? hmm

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 12:58:01

Henni - don't worry, I've been doing a lot of swearing in the staffroom recently - very unlike me, I've been feeling a bit fed up too.

What's getting you down? Anything we can help with?

MaureenMLove Sun 23-Sep-07 12:59:12

So, its a weekend every 4 or 5 weeks and what about the 5.45 - 10? Is that every day?

MaureenMLove Sun 23-Sep-07 13:01:02

I am watching this thread, so if I miss your answer, I will catch up, but I've got soooo much to do today! If DH catches me on here, he may divorce me!!! I'm taking 5!

hennipenni Sun 23-Sep-07 13:02:02

Cheers LT but it's nothing that anyone here can help. just don't have any time to do anything anymore, have been a good childminder and looked after mindees too well and so consequently have been neglecting my own family as I'm too knackered in the evening!

MaureenMLove Sun 23-Sep-07 13:07:56

Which is exactly why I haven' got time to be on here today Henni!! I didn't even get on here yesterday until 10.30pm! I've still got to tidy all the toys and wash and sterilise them and thats before I notice I've got a daughter who is dying to do something and think about something for dinner tonight!

MaureenMLove Sun 23-Sep-07 13:08:24

Ooops! DH has spotted me! I'll be back!

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 13:09:12

Mo - cheers, don't get divorced tho! wink

HenniPenni - I know how you feel, been the same here, ds not in any clubs cause I can't take him, every weekend spent doing paperwork/housework etc and don't really get any 'family' time, never enough hours in the day is there

Right, I've got some more info as she's emailed me back, here's the email:

5 week rota basis, which means i work a different shift each week. if i was working a full week of early shifts for example the school run would be mo-fri then, i always know what shifts i'm working the friday before. but i could for example be working 2 early shifts and the rest late, where i'd only need 2 schoolruns that week. so it varys a bit.as i have only started this job a few weeks ago i don't exactly know the pattern of shifts yet, but as soon as i finish my training i will know more. as for the evenings, that would only come in use when my husband is away, he is in the army and sometimes he has to go on exercise for a week at a time, we moved here in april and he has only been away twice so far. i would always try my best to work my shifts round that, cause i appreciate that those are not very social timings, especially when it is during the week. when my husband is away and i can't manage to swap my shifts then the hours would be 5.45pm til approx. 10pm, but so far i have always finished around 9pm/9.30pm, but that always depends on how long it takes me to do a call. and again it depends on what shift pattern i have for that week, so it could be one night that week or a few more and maybe include the weekend. but like i say, i would always try my best to swap my shifts, so it would mainly be when i am on an early shift. and i would always know my shifts for the week the friday latest, saturday beforehand. i hope this has help you to understand it a bit more, if you have any more questions please email me back. i really appreciate you trying to help. thank you.

I've emailed back asking if Term Time only - what do you think? [confused as never worked with shift patterns]

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 13:12:09

I'm not sure about the way these shifts work? hmm I'll loose money if only charge when needed as someone else may want full space.

tori32 Sun 23-Sep-07 13:30:23

As someone who used to work shifts (nurse) I now CM and offer care to shift workers because I felt there was a gap in requirements and availability in my area. Although currently I don't have any. I have a rate for 7-7 then time and a half for 7-10pm. I also have a night rate from 10-7am. I do also offer weekends. Remember that not offering this is the difference between a good and bad standard of living for a child, if the parent cannot work. sad

tori32 Sun 23-Sep-07 13:32:53

Looneytune, is that 5.45 at night? If so then most day workers will have gone home so you would only have one child and it will not interfere with spaces during office hours.

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 13:50:53

Thanks for that, I will try and work some figures out. What about when not needed and school holidays etc - I feel I could really loose out if I'm not careful.

Also, yes, it's 5.45pm but no, I will still have children here as the earliest a child goes in my care is 6pm, I finish at 6.30pm atm. But I DO have space for this child, it's just that I really wanted someone who I'd be paid for full time rather than as and when needed hmm

princessmel Sun 23-Sep-07 13:57:01

I wouldn't. I enjoy my evenings too much.

MaureenMLove Sun 23-Sep-07 14:25:41

I think you need to do some serious thinking! I actually don't think it sound too bad. It does mean, of course, that you will be working shifts as well, but it could work out rather well. She sound like a lovely lady actually. (Dispite my initial thoughts!) She also sounds like she'd be very grateful if you could accommodate her! The other thing you need to consider, if how long she may need you for, because its going to make filling other places more dificult, if any of your others leave. I know you can do it now, but if anything changes with other mindees it might be a problem. You need to do a spreadsheet type thing! Work it all though and make sure DH is OK with it. Its not just about the money! Ultimately, I think it could work and work well & pay well. Once you get over the initial shock of doing shifts, it'll be OK.

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 14:39:20

I agree Mo, although I've decided I just wouldn't be happy finishing at 10pm - if it's weekday as the pickup could cause a distruption for ds plus I may want an early night. I'd be happy to do overnight care though because that wouldn't stop me from going to bed if the child was asleep. I suppose I'd be willing to give the 10pm finish A TRY but wouldn't be happy to commit to it at this stage. I now just need to get my head around the shift side of things, I'm very easily confused!!! grin

MaureenMLove Sun 23-Sep-07 14:43:19

Good point. It maybe that the mother would actually prefer over night care, but doesn't know that its possible. I think lots more e-mails to her might be needed! It might be worth mentioning at the outset that its by no means a done deal, just because you're asking loads of questions.

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 14:44:52

Yeah...we've been emailing back and forth and she's said she's very very grateful for me even considering it as no-one else has replied to her ad. She said if I say no she'll totally understand but that she's very grateful for me looking into it as a possibility.

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 14:45:38

I've also given her the childcarelink website and told her she can try CIS but tbh, I don't know if anyone else in the area will be able to help, unless there are some new ones who now drop off at that school.

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 14:46:26

p.s. I'm a little worried you may end up single if you stay on here helping me much longer!!! grin

Kiddi Sun 23-Sep-07 15:03:01

done loads of shift work from paretns and it does interfere with family life, sleep etc, but if its for teh right family you can both make it work for both. from sound of text this sounds like a caring parent trying to make best of her future while partner in irratic job situation. It good partner is going to do the awkward bits when he avialable as that suggests they both work together for the betterment of family life, and that usually makes a happier more settled child who will hopefully cope well with the situation. good Luck. ps perhaps you can ask for some knid of minumum weekly income whatever she needs you, with a maximum of odd shifts per month etc. she may not be able to afford it but she is unlikely to offer if you dont raise the subject.

looneytune Sun 23-Sep-07 15:44:36

Thanks for that

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: