Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I think I'm going to have to have a little chat with nanny, it's starting to slide...

(16 Posts)
skye Wed 19-Sep-07 21:37:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moomin Wed 19-Sep-07 21:40:48

Firstly, is she actually a nanny or an au pair or a 'mother's help'?
If she's a nanny, is she expected to do housework as well as look after the dcs? Does she have it in her contract that she is to tidy up after them?

skye Wed 19-Sep-07 21:46:48

omega2 Wed 19-Sep-07 21:47:05

She should be doing nursery duties which is tidying up after children, washing, ironing etc but i don't see she should be picking up after a 9 year old all the time - she should be doing a lot of that herself as good to learn. Maybe your nanny and you should specify a day that your 9 year old tidies her room in order for it to be hoovered the following day

gess Wed 19-Sep-07 21:47:52

What are her working hours?

Homework can be a nightmare I find. Will your dd do it for your nanny? You may be setting the impossible there.

For things like tidying rooms draw up a list of the order you would like things done in (& remember to factor in breaks etc).

berolina Wed 19-Sep-07 21:55:16

Have to agree with omega - the 9yo should be picking up her own books/dirty clothes. In fact, your ds is old enough to help tidy up too. (ds is 2 and tidies, with guidance, every evening). However, it would be entirely reasonable to expect nanny to supervise the tidying/make sure it gets done.

berolina Wed 19-Sep-07 21:55:42

(sorry, my ds is 2 etc.)

skye Wed 19-Sep-07 21:56:03

skye Wed 19-Sep-07 21:58:54

gess Wed 19-Sep-07 21:59:00

A long day then. Did you specify jobs for her to do between 9 & 3? If not I would leave a reasonable list. I employ a variety of people in different roles and have found that often younger people really need to be told what to do. Ones my age & up look for jobs and find them (faster than I can dish them out).

berolina Wed 19-Sep-07 22:01:27

I would make overseeing of tidying one of nanny's jobs. (But if she's not very good at supervising homework, that might be tricky).

frannikin Wed 19-Sep-07 22:02:55

Um, I don't want to cast aspersions on your nanny's intelligence but might the homework thing be that your daughter is asking for help that the nanny can't give her? And that's kind of made an issue out of it IYSWIM? So the nanny is letting your dd2 sit in her room to avoid having to help?

That might not be the issue at all but it's worth considering.

skye Wed 19-Sep-07 22:04:55

skye Wed 19-Sep-07 22:08:14

mummypoppins Thu 20-Sep-07 09:41:18

HI Skye..........You can pull it back. I feel I have with my nanny as you can see from the other thread.

I think its very difficult when you still retain a nanny when they go to school. My nanny found it more difficult over the summer. Stuff got behind. Normally my 2 would spend the entire summer in our swimming pool and as they are both competent swimmers Nanny could have ironed outside the back door and watched but because whether was so bad she spent a lot of time at the cinema and other peoples houses.

But since they have gone back to school its all up to date and the house is much calmer.My nanny also struggles with my cleaning lady who is something else...........she would chat the whole 12 hours she is with me given half a chance so Nanny often has to escape just for her own sanity! Cleaner is away this week and although house is not that clean its peaceful!!

having only had au pairs in the past it has taken me while to adjust to the amount extra a nanny is paid compared with and when the domestic side of things has lapsed I have wondered whether the £3k a month the nanny cleaner and gardener cost me is worth it..........but then I look back to my au pair days and the once a week nervous breakdown they caused me and realise that the fact DS got 12 out of 12 in his spellings last week is worth every penny just to see the proud look on his face when I arrived home at 8.30pm and he couldnt wait to tell me !

HTH

jura Thu 20-Sep-07 23:43:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now