Talk

Advanced search

Paying childminder during lockdown

(29 Posts)
Mishmased Sat 16-May-20 21:45:51

We have two DS aged 4 and 7. Childminder collects them after school 4 days a week. They haven't been going since the week starting the 23rd. DH works from home 9-5:30 all week and I go into work 3 days and work from home 2 days.
It has been quite exhausting having to work and help kids with their school work/ upload to google classroom especially my 4 year old. So we have taken a combination of holidays and unpaid leaves to be able to cope.
I suggested to DH we pay cm something as we haven't paid her since the week starting the 23rd of March but he disagreed. She's great and has been looking after the kids since my youngest was 2 years old.
She's not registered, we have no contract but I pay her two weeks at Christmas and the usual pressies.
She came highly recommended and I'm happy with her and her family treats the kids really well and only looks after them.
Just wondering what people's opinions are on this as I think it is only fair we give her something.

OP’s posts: |
FranklyADick Sat 16-May-20 21:57:28

I've paid my childminder throughout but I pay through a salary sacrifice scheme. I have also been paid my full (part time) salary while working from home. Although my colleagues have had to go to work I haven't as I am in a vulnerable category. We have lost out financially though as my partner is self employed and he has been unable to work.

glitterbiscuits Sat 16-May-20 22:18:45

She's not registered? Then she's not a childminder, won't be insured and is working illegally.

Awkwarddough Sat 16-May-20 22:22:03

Why isn’t she registered ?

Anyway we pay my childminder half. We have told her we will pay full if she’s struggling. She’s amazing and my little boy loves her so much so we want her to be there for us after lockdown. Both my husband and I are teachers so aren’t loosing out on any pay. I understand it’s different if your finances are stretched.

m0therofdragons Sat 16-May-20 22:25:02

Mine is claiming the government funding. Yours can’t as she’s working illegally. I wouldn’t pay but I also wouldn’t send my dc to unregistered, uninspected, and therefore uninsured childcare.

CaryStoppins Sat 16-May-20 22:26:17

She's not registered so she's not paying tax and won't get anything through the Government schemes - so she's probably pretty screwed financially now.

Why did you choose unregistered, illegal childcare though? She won't be police checked, no one will have checked her house is safe, you don't know who is living there confused

Invisimamma Sat 16-May-20 22:29:03

Yabu to use an unregistered 'childminder.'

Mishmased Sat 16-May-20 23:40:23

She does not have to be registered unless she is minding more than 5 school going aged children or more than 3 pre-school children. She has Childminding insurance as I've seen it and an up to date childcare and as she is minding less than 3 kids she is tax exempt, this means that now she cannot claim the covid-19 payment. We knew she wasn't registered when we started using her and was upfront about it. She had previously looked after a little boy from 10 months to 4 years. We visited a mix of places and picked hers as she will be looking after our kids only. They are a family of 5 and we have come to know them well as they've been with her since 2017 so we're very happy.
I should have mentioned that I'm in Ireland so possibly different rules regarding registering.

Mishmased Sat 16-May-20 23:46:08

We are getting paid but we've had to take time off to look after the kids as things were hectic and it only occurred to me we're in May. We usually pay €200 weekly aftercare 1:30 (2:30 for 7 year old) to 5pm and we supply all food and snacks. Trying to figure out what is fair as we have been taking time off from work to look after them.
Whilst she's not wealthy she's not struggling for money but I feel we should give her something for April and may.

Rhiannon13 Sun 17-May-20 00:09:56

She does not have to be registered unless she is minding more than 5 school going aged children or more than 3 pre-school children.

Whereabouts are you?

Rhiannon13 Sun 17-May-20 00:22:10

Sorry, just seen you're in Ireland. I take it the legislation to register with Tusla didn't happen then? I find it impossible to believe that she can be insured with no contracts however things are done but I work in England so don't know much about how things are run in Ireland.

Should she be paid? Depends how much you value her service doesn't it? You've already forgotten about her for a couple of months so I wouldn't presume she's just sitting there waiting for you all to skip through the door again in a few months time. She might very well have found a new job (as I have, for the same reason).

Mishmased Sun 17-May-20 01:00:22

She doesn't have to register with Tusla as she's only minding 2 children. We didn't forget about her. With the lockdown you couldn't go to peoples houses and lockdown is only being eased from Monday the 18th May, so I will be meeting her tomorrow whilst social distancing. She cannot mind any kids due to lockdown else ours would have gone to her. Also her husband and 2 kids are working from home and the third is doing his college work from home so space is a bit cramped at the moment.
Things are beginning to calm down for us now so we are trying to sort out childminder. I absolutely value her, we don't pay peanuts, never have. Just trying to figure out what is fair for all of us.

jannier Sun 17-May-20 12:26:48

If it's legal where you live than it's down to a question of what you feel is morally right ....your earnings are unchanged so your profiting by not paying whilst she struggles and goes without ...possibly food heating etc....how would you like to be treated if roles where reversed.....and how would you feel if a family did this then returned and maybe needed support for emergencies in the future....
Personally anyone who dosent do what they can to support childcare would be bottom of the list to come back be on higher hourly rate if they did....and may not be taken back if someone else came along

Mishmased Sun 17-May-20 13:57:04

Did you read the thread at all? We have been struggling trying to work and homeschool a 7 and 4 year old. We are literally home to work and back home for the pst five weeks. Strict lockdown has been going on so I haven't been able to go anywhere apart from work and shop. Things are beginning to calm down now so we are trying to sort things out.
If you read my post I did mention she is a bit well off not wealthy but well off and she minds only my kids. I have come to know her well over the last nearly 3 years and no she isn't struggling to put food on the table. That is a huge assumption in your part. She was due to go on holidays in April which is probably why I forgot about it as we were taking time off to look after the kids.
We have no contract but the agreement is I don't pay if she doesn't have the kids which is Christmas and I still pay so your comment is moot.

Pinkblueberry Sun 17-May-20 14:21:26

I would say I’m with your husband on this, especially if she hasn’t asked for anything. I disagree with those who say childminders should be paid whilst not offering a service - they are self employed and it is not a parent’s role to financially cover them in this kind of situation, you are her costumer, not her employer. Childminders from what I’m aware can apply for a self employed income support scheme.
A contract is very different to an ‘agreement’. Not being registered is one thing but having no contract at all seems irresponsible on both sides.

Mishmased Sun 17-May-20 17:48:36

Hi pinkblueberry, I understand your point about not being her employer. I feel like I should pay her something and as of this afternoon dropped half two weeks payment.
I plan to give her something at the end of the month.
She is lovely as are members of her family so it is more an appreciation of what she does for the kids.

With regards contract, we are happy so far with how things are going almost 3 years on.
She gives good notice for holidays etc and we work around each other. Her house is like a second home and whilst it may not be the norm, the agreement works for us.

jannier Sun 17-May-20 19:43:03

The fact she had a holiday booked dosent mean shes we off. You know her well so do other parents and childminders but they dont know their mortgage details, bills or other commitments as I'm sure she dosent know yours. Anyone only caring for 2 children from one family is unlikely to be doing it for fun or pin money.
Everyone who is at home juggling work childcare and schooling is finding it hard...
The self employment scheme is an average of the last 3 years income....not what you pay but what she earns after expenses...dont know what an unregistered person has to pay out or if she does tax obviously if she dosent she get nothing. If shes had unpaid time off illness etc her income is less. Only you know if your financial position is better or worse taking into account what you pay out...if it's better pay her if it's worse than if you aid everything out discuss it. Do you want childcare when you are allowed to use her or not?

Mishmased Sun 17-May-20 20:36:05

Seriously you have no idea what you're talking about. She only minding my two because that's all she wants to mind. She is happy to look after my two and had previously looked after one child for 4 years. It is a source of income but she she doesn't depend on it. She was recommended by a neighbor when we moved to the area and wasn't minding any kids then. She only minds my two as they are siblings and I know she has been asked to mind kids by other parents and she has turned them down. She is a lovely childminder but not a career childminder and she loves the flexibility that it gives her. While the extra cash is great it isn't the main income as it doesn't put food on her table. So as I said before your post is moot.

Mishmased Sun 17-May-20 21:01:21

Actually Jannier as you're so concerned, I'm sure you missed the part where I said her husband and two adult children are working from home and a third child is doing his project from home. So how is she supposed to mind my kids? Even if lockdown is eased my kids cannot go to her and we have to take more time off (in case you missed it we have taken unpaid time off work) to look after them as people working from home will have to do that for the foreseeable if their job allows. I go to work Mon-wed and wfh thurs/fri so he's aligned with them for 12 hours while trying to work, you have no idea how it is so don't try telling me everyone is doing it. So that means no childcare for us throughout until earliest Sept as she cannot look after them if her household continue to work from home. So what happens when I or my husband have take parental leave in the summer to look after the kids and don't get paid? I think you missed the crux of the post really!

jannier Sun 17-May-20 21:47:20

Why cant she do it because her family are home? Surely she cant donit because either your not a key worker, your able to work from home or someone is shielding. Plenty of people are childminding whilst their families are home...doing work or not...
Plenty of people are working from home whilst caring for babies well under 4....
But as I said IF you can not that you can ...ie if you are able to then do so if your not dont..

I guess as your so hostile something has hit a nerve

Mishmased Sun 17-May-20 22:46:20

Nope I'm not hostile at all just pointing out that you missed a key point I made in my earlier post. She texted me on the weekend prior to March 23rd to say she's got the full house working from home so cannot have them. Full lockdown started after that and only tomorrow the 18 May are sectors like building and gardening centers are opening.
Well I don't have to explain my profession to you so won't bother about key worker or not! Oh and you missed the part where I pointed out she is not a career childminder unlike a lot of childminders as she has turned down opportunities to mind multiple children. She doesn't want kids at her home when 4 other adults are working from home plain and simple.
I have met her today and as usual all is well so your point again is moot. Btw watch out you don't break a leg jumping to conclusions.

Mishmased Sun 17-May-20 23:04:12

I really shouldn't be replying to this but just to point out your ignorance with regards to restrictions in Ireland. All childminders are closed, all crèches/nurseries are closed and all occupations classed as critical have to carry letters to show to the Gardai when stopped. Nobody will mind the child of key workers as that has been restricted which is why I go to work 3 days a week and wfh 2 days. So maybe learn a bit about the regs in place before you start mouthing off.

jannier Mon 18-May-20 00:36:39

As I said hostile...dont know why I'm just putting forward possible scenarios as I also said IF it applies not that it did. As you seemed to know everything I'm not sure why you asked. Just dont pay if you dont want to. Your aware of everything considered everything so no problem.

Mishmased Mon 18-May-20 06:23:05

Again not hostile. You seem to be skim reading parts to suit you. Go back and reread again, I can't repeat myself I asked what is fair and I have met and paid her. If you can be bothered to read properly don't comment. My question east should her pay her, just read properly.

Mishmased Mon 18-May-20 06:31:13

*My question wasn't should I pay her.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in