Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Tell me about being a childminder (please)........

(14 Posts)
TheQueenOfQuotes Tue 18-Sep-07 22:57:06

I'm toying with all sorts of ideas of what work I want to do when I have to return to work next year - and one thought I've had is of becoming a childminder - what should I know, what would I need to do, what should I consider etc etc???

fireflyfairy2 Tue 18-Sep-07 23:00:20

How much room you have.

Do you drive?

TheQueenOfQuotes Tue 18-Sep-07 23:03:50

How much room is needed?

No I don't drive - is it essential? - I'm sure one of the CM's that does pick-ups at the school next door to us doesn't drive??

StrawberryMartini Wed 19-Sep-07 07:36:59

Hi I've just officially started as a CM - I had two Saturdays 'pre-registration course' then two Saturdays first aid. Then I had a basic first inspection from Ofsted and obviously CRB and other paperwork. It was much easier than I thought to start, but it took a while to find my first child. Ofsted will decide how many children you can have depending on your own children and the size of your house. I'm registered for 5 but there's no way I'm taking that many just yet!

I got a start-up grant which covered the courses and first year NCMA insurance, and left me with about £240 for start-up costs, but I know every local council is different.

Anyone the other lovely ladies on here will be able to help you further.

Good luck

P.S. I drive but it's definitely not essential.

Shoshable Wed 19-Sep-07 07:45:10

TQOQs I didnt drive when I first started, although I do now, but I livon a Army camp on th etop of a LONG hill so really I neded to.

Strawbs has bascially told you most things.

Phone your local surestart and they will tell you when the next briefing is, go along you dont have to sign up to anything there and then ifyou dont want to, and come into the staff room (said the spider to the fly grin) and ask anything you want.

MaureenMLove Wed 19-Sep-07 08:17:52

The staff room's not open! <Mo runs off jangling the keys>

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 19-Sep-07 08:40:38

shop pop into the staffroom later when I've got time smile

Eddas Thu 20-Sep-07 21:51:46

QOQ hope you don't mind the crash/bumping but can anyone tell me if you need an qualifications as such to be a childminder? I need to work once my ML finishes but I really don't know what to do. Childminding is one of my thoughts but i'm not in anyway qualified. I just have 2 children of my own.

Thanks

Katymac Thu 20-Sep-07 21:53:05

You need a CRB check, a 12 hr peadriatric first aid course, and an ICP (about 20? hours)

Contact your Childcare information service

maximummummy Thu 20-Sep-07 21:58:39

it's BLOODY hard work

Eddas Thu 20-Sep-07 22:03:05

So no college type courses? I've read what they've said already on here and have looked at the surestart website, will ring them tomorrow. I just want to find out about stuff atm. So unsure of my working life to come<sigh>

I know it'll be hard. especially with 2 already, but I have to do something and i'm just mulling through all my options. It's such a shame I can't just go back to my old job but childcare costs for 2 are too much for me. I need something to work with the children. So my options are limited. I would probably only do it until they are both at school.

S88AHG Fri 21-Sep-07 10:57:18

I think the hardest thing about childminding is actually getting children, and then managing to keep them. It has taken me personally 2 and a half years to get to full, and thats mainly due to a friend passing people onto me . It is lovely to be there for your own kids but I still miss school stuff sometimes, ( my dh goes instead) as I feel its unfair to ask parents to have holidays for those sort of things. It is a really rewarding job sometimes and at other times you ask yourself what on earth you are doing, thats the same in all jobs though. But if it suits you and you enjoy it, then go for it! Best of luck and thers loads of really kind and helpful people on here always willing to offer advice and help.

saltire Fri 21-Sep-07 11:03:41

Eddas - I had no childcare qualifcations at all when I started. i remember saying to the social services woman 9who were in charge before OFSTED) that I had no training and she said "you're a mother aren't you?"

Eddas Fri 21-Sep-07 14:02:57

Thank you for the replies. I'm really not sure what'll happen when I have to work. I am just trying to think all the options through. DH may have come up with an answer, but it will depend on SIL, so really not sure. Will try and speak to her today.

Again, sorry for the thread crash QOQblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now