Talk

Advanced search

Safe outdoor floor options?

(8 Posts)
OrganicSmorganic Fri 24-Apr-20 08:00:30

I’m considering going back into child minding and in order to make our outdoor safe and low maintenance I’d like to do something with the grassed area.

It’s not a huge space but it gets muddy in winter and of course there’s bald patches due to having a dog, which look unattractive and it needs mowing during the summer.

What’s a good alternative that’s clean, tidy, low maintenance and works with a dog and cats too?

I don’t like plastic grass and have heard it hurts if you fall on it.

I’d welcome some ideas.

OP’s posts: |
Hugglespuffed Sun 26-Apr-20 08:41:53

I'd be interested. I reckon grass may be the best though. Slate type of floor gets really hot and extremely slippery, same with wooden decking, gets slippery when wet which would be no use for water play. Grass is softer if kids land on it.

What about some of those foam tiles to put over the grass? You can then put them away when not needed.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 26-Apr-20 20:32:56

My fiancé does fake grass and the cheap ones yes may scratch /hurt but a good quality one won’t

No mud in house.

He has done many gardens in artificial grass and all either have children dogs or both

Lorreanne Mon 27-Apr-20 13:50:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jannier Wed 06-May-20 23:18:35

The fake grass I've seen gets too hot to walk on in the summee

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 07-May-20 10:27:49

Only cheap stuff @jannier

The nice costly stuff is soft and doesn’t get hot /burning

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 07-May-20 10:32:33

I agree with Blondes getting a good quality fake grass will cost you more but will last longer & doesn't have many of the issues cheaper alternatives do.

JonHammIsMyJamm Thu 07-May-20 10:34:03

Fake grass is an environmental disaster.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in