Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do ALL nannies ignore the baby and yak on their mobiles...?

(15 Posts)
sleepfinder Fri 14-Sep-07 16:10:23

I just walked through the door to find my son in the "cage" where he is only ever put for safety in the open plan living area when I have to go upstairs for a pee

while the brand new nanny was yakking on her mobile.

As I opened the door, she slammed the phone down and said to me "he's not been in there the whole time, just while I went to the loo"

I said nothing.

She wasn't in the loo, she was on the sofa, yaking.

I'm upset. Its only her 2nd day alone with him.

I may be over-reacting but it didn't appear to be an urgent or important call and she's getting paid to look after my baby.

what do you think?

HarrietTheSpy Fri 14-Sep-07 16:17:53

Considering how much you're likely to be paying for her services per day, I can imagine being irritated by this!!

How old is her son? How long has she been looking after him - you said this was her first day alone with him.

In all honesty, would you be totally happy with her if it wasn't for this? Still on probation?

bossykate Fri 14-Sep-07 16:28:34

have seen loads of our local ones doing this hmm

Bink Fri 14-Sep-07 16:33:25

I'd do benefit of the doubt this time - but keep watch on the atmosphere.

Her defensiveness (& slamming down the phone) is much more worrying sign than the talking - talking on the phone while looking after a baby isn't automatically bad - she could have been making plans to meet up with other nannies & their charges, which is a good thing (unless you don't want her to do that ...?) Was she going against your explicit instructions not to chat on the phone, though?

Little things can be reliable alarm bells, though: we sacked a nanny after two days after a string of little things: she was an hour late her first day, she "forgot" her swimming kit on a day we'd arranged she'd take ds to the pool; etc.; but the clincher was dh coming home to a silent house & after several minutes coming into the living room to find ds (aged 13 months) sitting by himself at one end of the living room while she read a mag at the other. It was that non-interaction that made us sure she was wrong for us. And we definitely did the right thing by parting company with her.

Kaz33 Fri 14-Sep-07 16:47:17

No I had three nannies and two of them definitely did not yack to their mates all day. They were brilliant professionals who loved my children.

The other one - realised there was something wrong when my 3 year old started to tell me to "shut up".

eleusis Fri 14-Sep-07 17:02:31

I thin you are right to be a bit annoyed. And I think her defensive behaviour says it all really.

However, I don't actually mind if my nanny yaks on the phone noe and then. It could be her phone rang, she picked it up and had a chat with a friend for 5 minutes. If I was home looking after the kids, I would do this so why not nanny. I'm a bit concerned however that the baby was in the "cage" which I assume is a play pen or travel cot.

Have you got a nanny diary? (I should get for commission for recommending nanny diares so often).

eleusis Fri 14-Sep-07 17:03:27

Oh, and no not all nannies do this.

nannyj Fri 14-Sep-07 17:06:10

Er no.

sleepfinder Fri 14-Sep-07 17:28:22

My son turned 1 two weeks ago. He's a very good tempered child and very inquisitive, always exploring the room / things in it, which I am happy for him to do. Its tiring work which is why I have her here 1 day per week.

Its her 2nd day alone with him. They went to a baby group this morning I don't think she was making any arrangements regarding his activities...

I am really tired and think this is colouring my being upset. I'll think on it again tomorrow.

Yes, sorry I refer to the playpen as a "cage" cos that's what it looks like, and I've sat in it myself and it feels like one...

NAB3 Fri 14-Sep-07 17:41:21

If it was a ninnocent call she would not have slammed the phone down. And she knew she is was in the wrong but offereing a stupid reason immediately.

KaySamuels Fri 14-Sep-07 17:45:36

No they don't.

nannynick Fri 14-Sep-07 18:22:07

I hate it when my mobile rings, it is next to impossible to answer a voice call with baby, 2 year old and 4 year old around. Text messages are far better - often arrange meetups with other childcarers via text message, as we all find it hard to answer a voice call - but can answer a text when the children are safety occupied.

I don't think you are over reacting to the situation you walked into... though probably best not to take any action at this stage, just make a note of it for future reference (such as for the end of week 1/week 2 review).

sleepfinder Fri 14-Sep-07 19:35:44

Thanks everyone. I've taken your advice to just "take note" for now.

Otherwise she is a very good nanny, from what I've seen and heard, which is why I was so surprised.

Thanks again.

NannyL Fri 14-Sep-07 23:32:19

in answer to original post , no not all nannies do that

lockets24 Tue 18-Sep-07 20:51:59

no..we dont all do that!

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now