Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny and holidays - how does it work?

(7 Posts)
Cakehead Wed 12-Sep-07 14:17:39

We're just about to start looking for a nanny to work 3 and a half days a week, sometimes four. Hours would be 9.00 until 5.00pm. How does holiday work? Do we pay the nanny for the agreed holiday that she takes, as well as holiday when we're away?

jura Wed 12-Sep-07 15:11:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eleusis Wed 12-Sep-07 15:13:11

You give her 4 weeks of holiday. You can choose it all if you want. But, most nannies will expect to choose about half of it. If you go away at other times (outside the agreed holiday time) then you just pay her as it is you who took the day off, not her.

jura Wed 12-Sep-07 17:31:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eleusis Wed 12-Sep-07 18:05:43

I'm a yank. What did you expect?

NannyL Wed 12-Sep-07 19:04:15

yes 4 weeks is the norm, but is going up in october 2007 (and i think again in feb 2009 to 28 days?)

As a nanny i would never work for a family who wouldnt let me choose any days off... but then all of my families are fine about it being half and half

Given that all of my bosses have 6 / 8 weeks holiday themselves most of it filters down to me too.

Also my bosses have been fine with me choosing 2 weeks and a day (together) as well as a few odd days.... and they have given me 3 whole weeks and lots of odd days here and there too.

Already for this year i have chosen 2 weeks and 3 days, i will choose a couple more days too I'm sure.

Also my holiday only counts as holiday if i am given 4 weeks notice. Other wise its just a day off wink

Cakehead Wed 12-Sep-07 21:21:04

Ahh, that's really useful. Thought it worked like that but good to have it clarified. Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now