Advanced search

My childminder wants full fees but isn’t she getting money back from the government?

(9 Posts)
Bearynicely Sat 28-Mar-20 13:32:16

My childminder has asked for full fees so she can support her family while she’s off.

It will be a struggle for us as I’m dropping some hours to look after my toddler but I wanted to do it as we obviously want her to still be in business once this is over and would like to still have a good relationship with her.

But I’m confused? Isn’t she getting government help now? Is she just being cheeky? I don’t see why she should profit out of this? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick.

Can someone enlighten me?

OP’s posts: |
Apple40 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:46:51

How long as she been a childminder? To get any help she has to have submitted 3 years worth of tax returns, too be honest the financial “help” by the time they then take off the tax and National Insurance I will be lucky to get 30% of what’s been Promised to me.

AdvicePleaseThanks Sat 28-Mar-20 20:56:50

Has she formally closed ?

stopandListen Sat 28-Mar-20 21:50:37

The government help for the self employed does not come until June, can't you discuss a reduced fee with her rather than fees in full?

Artsandcraftsmummy Sun 29-Mar-20 08:17:50

I also think arranging payment with 1/2 fees and no contract could get messy - as if parents are paying using HMRC funding (childcare account) ie you're paying for a service your not technically getting - it may be double whammy for parents - trying to help out a childminder. Both parties will have to be transparent to HMRC. It's causing me a lot of worry about if my children will have places as both our incomes next month will be reduced. A lot of parents are in the same boat.

TKAAHUARTG Sun 29-Mar-20 08:22:06

Are you choosing not to send your child? Or has she actually closed? First scenario: pay her in full. Second: nothing. Or maybe a retainer.

LittleLittleLittle Sun 29-Mar-20 11:55:25

Is she open for the children of keyworkers?

If she is agree a small amount that is a retainer to keep your place open. You cannot pay full fees as your income is reduced and you can't send your child to her as you aren't a keyworker.

If she is closed including to the children of keyworkers then tell because she is completely closed you aren't paying her anything.

roseapothecary Mon 30-Mar-20 07:12:57

My husband and I are key workers. My childminder has closed and it is a struggle working with toddler at home.
She says she was told to close by the LA though so under our contract have to pay half fees. Maybe offer to pay half if you can afford it?

jannier Mon 30-Mar-20 18:42:44

Its 80% of your last years and payable around June if you've had heavy expenses like purchasing new equipment, set up costs your income is reduced. If you've had spaces your incomes reduced etc.
If your paying a retainer there will be no problem with HMRC.
Maybe discuss reduced payments.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in