Talk

Advanced search

Childminder Isn’t Eligible For Grant - What Would You Do?

(3 Posts)
Cattenberg Thu 26-Mar-20 22:25:19

My childminder is excellent and DD loves going to her house. We’re lucky to have found her. She’s had to close her setting (no keyworkers’ children, as far as I know) and is charging 50% of her fees as a retainer.

However, the CM has already said that she’ll be going on maternity leave in July. I think it’s unlikely that she’ll be working again until early next year (although who knows when settings will reopen?). She’s been self-employed for just under a year, so I don’t think she’s eligible for the grant for self-employed workers.

Would you pay the retainer, and if so, for how long? I’m happy to pay something and I’d hate for the CM to struggle. On the other hand, I’m on a low wage myself and am vulnerable to redundancy when the economy is doing badly. I’ll probably need to find a new childcare setting as soon as they’re allowed to reopen and I can’t afford to pay two settings at once. What would you do?

OP’s posts: |
Sunshine1235 Thu 26-Mar-20 22:28:46

Can you just pay up until the point you would have if she was going on mat leave? You would have been in the same position anyway with trying to find another childminder except you’re not having to pay full fees and a retainer on a new cm

Cattenberg Thu 26-Mar-20 23:22:54

Yeah, I could afford to do that. But wouldn’t I forfeit DD’s place when I stopped paying? Mind you, if DD settles well into a new setting it might be better not to move her back to the CM, anyway

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in