Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

what to do about the school run

(9 Posts)
florenceuk Fri 07-Sep-07 12:27:01

OK, have nanny with son starting full-time school next term, is on mornigns this term. I work 3 days a week, have DS who is in year 1, DD will start pm nursery next term. We've agreed that I will do school drop off one morning a week, so she can drop-off her son and she will find a way around other two mornings.

But school pick-ups are a problem from next term - DD will finish at 3pm, DS at 3.15. Her son's school is a 20min drive away. She wants to see if I will ask a mum to pick up DD and DS and look after them for 45min so she can get back from school pick-up for one afternoon a week, as she doesn't want her DS to go into before and after-school club 3 times a week.

The trouble is, I don't know that many mums (a bit shy), and also feel it is a lot to ask them to look after two extra kids. OK if I had a very good mum friend, but I don't - I'm a bit useless that way. What should I do? She is very good with the kids but I feel I'm already going in late one morning out of 3, have I done enough? What have other nannies done?

jura Fri 07-Sep-07 12:52:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dmo Fri 07-Sep-07 16:08:25

does she want the job or not??
imo you have been very flexible but to ask another parent to have your 2 children for 45 mins seems unfair
it is her job to pick your children up she should have childcare set up for her child as you are for yours

florenceuk Fri 07-Sep-07 16:20:05

the trouble is that DD can't go into an afterschool club - she's too young. I am reluctant to push things, because she is very good - but interesting to see that others think she is expecting a lot. Do other nannies agree?

nannynick Fri 07-Sep-07 19:14:22

As a nanny I feel she is pushing things - job comes first (thus your children come first, not her own). As a parent herself, sure her own child comes first, but she has a job to fit in with - so either she decides to be a SAHM or she finds childcare for her own child.

Given that your childcare needs are changing due to DD starting afternoon nursery, perhaps it is time to re-evaluate what forms of childcare are best for your family.

We clearly don't know all the factors at play here - for example your working hours may restrict you to only having a nanny. While your nanny is 'very good' what is to say that you can't find another nanny who is also 'very good' who doesn't have children of their own.

Judy1234 Fri 07-Sep-07 19:25:12

I think she should be made to use the after school club even if you offer to pay say an extra £5 for that so you aren't having to ask favours of other mothers.

Phraedd Fri 07-Sep-07 21:19:33

i am a mummy and was a nanny and i think that she is being cheeky.

When my children came to work with me (dd was 4 and ds was 2), i made sure that work came first for the 3 days i was there and my hubby had the extra nursery runs (for my child) that came from my daughter being allowed to come to work with me.

florenceuk Fri 07-Sep-07 23:11:41

Thanks for everyone's views - clearly I am just a wimp. I do know one childminder who works at the school, I might see what she would charge.

1dilemma Sat 08-Sep-07 02:19:47

As a one off I would say fine (Christmas play etc) everyweek I agree with others seems to me like she isn't doing her job if she's doing her school runs. I know my boss would think I'm taking the p*%s!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now