Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

WHAT DO I PAY MY CHILD MINDER WHEN DD GOES TO PRIMARY SCHOOL?

(8 Posts)
vickinphil Thu 06-Sep-07 16:06:40

Please help. I've just discovered i've got to pay my childminder whilst my dd goes to nursery shock. Having read previous threads i now understand why, and as my child minder is so brill i dont mind (although I was looking forward to having some spare cash . . .) any way, when dd goes to primary school will i just be able to pay for the school run? I will still need child minder for school hols and inset days etc (i know i'll have to pay for these). please advise

bigdonna Thu 06-Sep-07 16:21:31

yes once she goes to full time school she does not take up full time place.i had a mindee from 6mths until nearly five she paid for a full time place then just for school run

looneytune Thu 06-Sep-07 18:42:13

Totally acceptable for her to charge whilst as nursery - loosing money is worst than not getting the spare cash wink. However yes, as soon as a child is 4 and attending school all day then you should only be charged for the before/after school care and then normal hours in holidays

ayla99 Fri 07-Sep-07 08:01:30

However if your dd starts school age 4 and is not attending full time (our primary school reception class is mornings only for weeks - only 5 sessions a week) I would be charging for time at school initially, just the same as when they are in preschool. And then I would do a new contract when the child has 5th birthday or starts attending 10 sessions of school each week. From then on, you wouldn't be taking up an under fives space any more and I would charge for just before and/or after school.

vickinphil Fri 07-Sep-07 21:58:37

thanks so much for the information. you've all been very informative smile. this is a great service - i'll be watchin daily! grin

foxcub Fri 07-Sep-07 22:10:39

I paid my childminder when DD was in 1/2 day sessions at nursery 'cos my CM still needed to drop her, collect her atc and as a result couldn't give that place to another child. Now DD is at school f/t on the days I need a CM, the fee has reduced from £45 a day, to £7 a day!! You'll find your nursery fees are probably covered by a government grant as well.

canmummy Fri 07-Sep-07 22:17:19

My cm was a money-grabber and still charged me £1.50/hr while my dd was at full-time school (could never understand why as she wasn't taking up a full-time place?!). Glad she now has a place at breakfast/after school club and am saving £30/month per child grin

Mum2Luke Sat 08-Sep-07 15:30:45

I only charge if I have the child/ren before and after or just before school or just after. I charge £3 per hour in the mornings (£15 per week) and £35 per week for just afternoons and £50 for both mornings and afternoons Mon to Fri in term time.

For INSET days I usually charge £25 for the day which includes breakfast lunch and a snack in the afternoon. If there is a sibling the first would be £25 and the second £15.

In the hols its £100 and again if there is an older sibling they are slightly cheaper at £75per week. This covers all meals and snacks. If we go out on a trip I usually ask for a donation towards the entry fee/transport cost if its a museum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now