Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice on planning nannys day...how much freedom/restriction to negotiate?

(8 Posts)
cbcb Mon 03-Sep-07 14:42:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Furzella Mon 03-Sep-07 14:52:01

My feeling is that you need to think about slightly longer term than what your nanny will do immediately. They might be more than happy to stick around locally for a while, but as your dds get older, they might start needing alternative stimulation even though the nanny will only be there for two days. Also, I found that our nanny had loads of great ideas for things to do that I hadn't thought of and it would have been a shame to limit this.

I was also v v anxious about anyone driving the girls, so we arranged for some top-up driving lessons for our nanny (in our car), although she had a full clean licence. She hadn't driven in the UK before and was very appreciative. I then asked her to drive me around a couple of times so that I could be confident that she was a careful driver. I then nervously let her loose on the children. All has been fine. Someone who is super-sensible in person is usually super-sensible behind the wheel too.

Good luck with it all.

looneytune Mon 03-Sep-07 14:54:06

Hello cbcb

As I think you know, I'm a childminder not a nanny so I can only give my OPINION. If it was all week then I'd be concerned about the nanny being stuck in all week with the children, however, as it's only 2 days a week, I would have thought it would be ok. She could do messy play, baking etc. and just general play. Is there anywhere she could take them outdoors in the pram? Would she be allowed people round for play dates? I'd say it sounds ok for 2 days per week but any more than that I would find hard if I didn't get to see adults too.

Good with

looneytune Mon 03-Sep-07 14:56:12

Also agree with what Furzella just said

omega2 Mon 03-Sep-07 15:38:35

I think if you are honest and explain at interview stage to any potential nanny they would probably be ok with it but it may put some off. If i was restricted to the house every week then i am not sure i would want to do the job as its nice to go out sometimes even if not every day and also in the holidays to meet up with other nannies at special treat places. Btw i am a nanny

NannyL Mon 03-Sep-07 19:41:11

in all honesty if i went for an interview and found out i would not be allowed to drive the children i personally wouldnt even consider the job

In the past 9 years i have driven over 80,000 miles, without any problems at all [touches wood]

I am confident driving on all roads from the tiniest windiest country tracks / raods... to the busiest motorways (ie M25 in rush hour)

I am also metiuclouse about car seat safety and own all my own car seats... the top safest ones recommended by Which? because i am only happy traveling with children being as safe as is possible in my car (some of them have had less safe car seats which on principle i refuse to use)

I have 7 years no claims and a clean driving licence.

My car is currently in the garage and my mummy boss is more than happy to just insure me to drive her car

nannynick Mon 03-Sep-07 23:55:35

As a nanny working in a rural(ish) location - my nearest major town I think is 7 miles or more away, not being able to take the children out would put me off a job. However, I am an out and about nanny, encouraging the children to spend time in the fresh air.

Where I work, due to a busy A road, we can't walk directly from the house to anywhere. If your village does not have that issue and the nanny can walk from your home to local country footpaths without having to cross a major road, then I feel being restricted for 2 days per week is less of an issue - as on those days nanny and children can spend time away from home walking in the local countryside.

Something to perhaps mention to your DH is that an experienced nanny may have a lot more driving experience than he does himself, especially driving with children on board. Every parent is concerned about their child's safety, especially when their child is in the care of another person, but you need to evaluate the risk. Some nannies may have 10+ years experience of driving, of which many years involved driving with children on board... so they are both experienced drivers plus know how much of a distraction children can be in a car. The risk of OTHER DRIVERS is there regardless of who is driving the car... be it yourself, your DH, or a nanny. How are you getting your twins to playgroups, on the days you will be having them... by car?

cbcb Wed 05-Sep-07 11:55:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now