Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

i want to use a childminder instead of creche....will i still get help towards thi as i am on benefits and will a childminder accept benefits????

(11 Posts)
fawkeoff Wed 29-Aug-07 21:09:31

sorry if this sounds dumb.I have just got a college placement, its all very last minute, and i would rather ds be in more of a home enviroment than a day place iyswim.I am going to see someone tomorrow at the jobcentre to help me get childcare sorted out but will they pay a childminder, and will a childminder accept it?????

fawkeoff Wed 29-Aug-07 21:11:33

bump grin

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 29-Aug-07 21:12:04

I am not sure of this, but I would presume as long as she is ofsted registered it would be fine??

That is the usual test for child tax credits and childcare vouchers

Someone better than me will be along though smile

fawkeoff Wed 29-Aug-07 21:14:08

thankyou i have been on the local site, and obviously wouldn't go to anyone who wasnt ofsted anyway

chankins Wed 29-Aug-07 21:19:27

Shouldn't be a problem - as long as she ofsted reg then gov will pay either straight to you to pay her or poss straight to her. I looked after a little boy whose mum was at college part time and i recieved payment in advance from the actual college, which was obviously brilliant for me as I didn't have to worry about getting paid. I actually prefer students because its not them paying you it is often more secure that way.

fawkeoff Wed 29-Aug-07 21:23:47

well im doing it full time, and would be able to pay a little upfront if need be, i just think its a better option for ds to be in a more homely enviroment,i think he will settle better iyswim

fawkeoff Wed 29-Aug-07 21:30:42

anyone else out there????

fawkeoff Thu 30-Aug-07 07:45:35

bump grin

Katymac Thu 30-Aug-07 08:49:46

I had a mum at college & it was really difficult to get the money from the college

Surprisingly Tax credits were more reliable in that case

ska Thu 30-Aug-07 08:57:40

if she is a registered childminder (and she has to be) then she will also be a registered 'childcarer' in the ofsted scheme and you can get childcare vouchers or whatever(tax credits etc) to assist towards the costs. may take a while to set up tho but most colleges are fairly on the ball these days. college welfare will help you sort it out if needbe and ask them to hurry it up. start looking for achildminder NOW as they may be getting booked up with the back to schoolers

fawkeoff Thu 30-Aug-07 09:01:17

just phoned one thats round the corner from my house,going to see her tomorrow and take ds to see how he settles,got my appoinment at the jobcentre today to sort out help so hopefully everything will slot into place.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: