Talk

Advanced search

What happens after age 8

(8 Posts)
itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Thu 02-Jan-20 13:49:54

We are a looong way off DC being 8 but just wondered what happens when they reach that age as I've seen most before/after school clubs and childminders don't take children older than 8?

Is is generally accepted that after age 8 they can take themselves to school and walk home on their own??

OP’s posts: |
BillHadersNewWife Thu 02-Jan-20 13:55:42

I've never heard of an after school club not taking over 8s' OP. Or a childminder. My DD's friend was with the childminder till she went to high school at 11.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Thu 02-Jan-20 13:58:16

No, an 8yo would still go to a childminders or after school club. It wouldn't be appropriate (imo) to have an 8yo left at home alone for long periods of time if at all.

Most Cms will have kids in their care til secondary school. 8yo plus don't count in their ratios.

badgerhead Thu 02-Jan-20 14:14:18

Registration for childminders and out of school clubs alter at 8 years old, so that is probably what is confusing you. Childminders can care for up to 6 children under 8 years of age plus older children as long as their care doesn't impact on the care of the younger children.
I am a childminder whose husband works as my assistant and we can care for up to 12 under 8's between us plus older children. We don't usually go over that number though, even including older children, as it would make the house far too crowded. It might happen on occasions for around 30 minutes after school, but very rarely. Also a lot of local authorities place planning restrictions on how many children can be cared for in a house in addition to the National regulations enforced by Ofsted, in England or CSSIW in Wales, which I believe have slightly different ratios as does Scotland.

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Thu 02-Jan-20 14:20:29

Ah thanks for that! Having one of those panic days - the before/after school clubs says up to age 8 but perhaps your right that older than that then it falls under different rules

I'm in the process of trying to find Childminder's who will cover the primary school we want DC to go to in September - they're are hardly any!!!

Does anyone know how easy it is to remove a child from afternoon pre school so that I can place them with a new childminder (who doesn't cover the pre school so won't be able to take them but does cover the school we want them to start at in September)??

OP’s posts: |
itsaboojum Fri 03-Jan-20 10:02:20

Not sure what the perceived difficulty is in leaving preschool.

You should give notice as per the terms of your contract. If you leave before the end of the notice period you will usually be expected to pay fees in lieu of notice, but you may be able to avoid making payment under The Consumer Act.

If your preschool-aged child is receiving government funding ("free" hours) you may have to wait until the start of a new term before you can allocate these hours to a new childcare provider, unless the current preschool agrees to release the funding.

FraglesRock Fri 03-Jan-20 11:43:09

I think your ofsted ratios change for eight year olds but if they're an established child who's happy then tbh they're easy money and helpful

jannier Fri 03-Jan-20 20:24:46

Ofsted inspect childcare for under 8s. A childminder can take over 8s providing they can meet all the needs of the under 8s....including their educational goals not just physical care. That they have floor space and they are within insurance limits....can be up to 12 children.
Most childminders will have children until secondary school if they are wanted.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in