Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

If a mindee ruined your cot and it was unusable, what would you do?

(187 Posts)
QueenEagle Sat 25-Aug-07 12:06:10

2.5 year old ds is put in a travel cot for his afternoon nap. The other day he pulled off his pull up full of poo and covered the cot in it, getting it in the mesh and on the fabric. Minder says it is impossible to clean therefore unusable.

She wants me to replace it and says she has no insurance to cover such a loss.

Am I liable??????

WanderingTrolley Sat 25-Aug-07 12:09:11

Hmmm....I think she should pay.

You'd have to check your contract to see what that says about being liable. I don't think you should be.

Sounds a bit cheeky of her tbh.

And why is it impossible to clean?

EscapeFrom Sat 25-Aug-07 12:09:51

She can clean it with a scrubbing brush and a bucket full of disinfectant. Not a nice job, but a lot of child related jobs aren't nice.

Something a 2 year old did while under her care is her problem, IMHO. It's her cot - she has the option to clean it or replace it - but you can't expect a child that age to know better, you were not in a position of responsibility at that time.

EscapeFrom Sat 25-Aug-07 12:11:13

I would suspect, given her panicky attitude, that it isn't her cot and she shouldn't have been using it for your ds. Does she have other little mindees?

KerryMumbledore Sat 25-Aug-07 12:11:17

Um,

where was she when he was doing all this?

that's the question I'd be asking.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Sat 25-Aug-07 12:13:28

no you arent.

QueenEagle Sat 25-Aug-07 12:17:05

Apparently the cot has got poo in the mesh fabric surrounding which she is saying is impossible to clean to a hygienic enough standard for using again.

Btw I must say I have no problem whatsoever with her care, she is excellent. ds was put down at 12.30 and checked at 1pm when they found he had taken the pull up off full of poo. He is in the habit of doing this lately I must admit.

I don't want to cause bad feeling as we have a very good relationship with her and the kids lover her and she provide fantastic care for the boys.

I would have thought that any equipment she uses, toys, cots, highchairs etc are her responsibility. And of course ds didn't deliberately do it.

FairyOnTheChristmasTree Sat 25-Aug-07 12:23:20

She is paid to look after your son and watch him at all times, even when he's sleeping as toddlers do wake up and get up to mischief doesn't she know? I think SHE is being totally unreasonable asking you...it's totally her fault when your DS was her responsibility.

LIZS Sat 25-Aug-07 12:24:37

hmm I'd have thought it could be cleaned with a steamer if not by hand. Yucky job though. For the sake of £30-40 is she really expecting you to fund a replacement when your ds won't be using it much longer himself. If he'd broken a toy or plate would you have to replace it ?

QueenEagle Sat 25-Aug-07 12:25:02

How do I tackle this without souring our relationship?

WanderingTrolley Sat 25-Aug-07 12:26:47

You're right - her equipment, her responsibility.

I have lost count of the number of objects I have cleaned poo off, she's talking, er, crap. It might stain, and look less pretty, but you can clean it to a hygienic standard.

EscapeFrom may have hit on something - that, or she just doesn't want to clean it.

Oh, and ime poo-painters do it in silence. I wouldn't worry about the care he receives on this evidence.

onlyWotz Sat 25-Aug-07 12:29:57

To keep good realtionship, I would suggest you go half with her as she should have been watching him afterall. Not nice to think he was left in a soiled pull up anyway.

Maybe buy a second hand one off ebay or from a mnetter.

LIZS Sat 25-Aug-07 12:30:53

Can you offer to clean it for her - biological washing power perhaps ? ?

WanderingTrolley Sat 25-Aug-07 12:33:26

I think you need to have a good look at the contract to see what it says about accidental damage.

And ask her why it's so hard to clean. Seriously, it's odd. It needs a good scrub and a wipe with Dettox. I've cleaned travel cots - it's not beyond the scope of Kim and Aggie!

EscapeFrom Sat 25-Aug-07 12:36:16

Hospitals manage just fine, as do nurseries, residential homes, and everyone with children. they don't bin bedding or chairs, or any other item (bar maybe pants if irretrievable) just because someone has soiled them. I would not bin a £50 item because of poo, and I don't think anyone running a business would unless they really CANNOT have it looking stained - which is why I suspect it's not hers.

EscapeFrom Sat 25-Aug-07 12:38:36

Plus if she insists she WON'T have it if it has had poo on, she should have insured herself against this event.

It's silly to mind nappied children and expect poo to never leave the confines of the nappy. This was an accident, and really not your problem.

I would offer to clean it out of good will, given that your little tyke did besmear it, but would NOT even think of offering any money for it.

bonkerz Sat 25-Aug-07 12:44:53

ask her to check her insurance. Im with morton mishel and im covered for upto £100 of mindees property so if she wnated to she could say it was a mindees cot that has been damaged! I claimed for my mindees parents mobile that cost £120 when a mindee put it in a glass of water! Didnt change my premiums either!

QueenEagle Sat 25-Aug-07 12:46:33

She says it was from her mum's house (?) and she is now a cot down. ds wears pants in the day and a pull up for naptime only. He had been for a wee at 12.30 when he was then put down to sleep. I have no issue with her not watching him - it was half an hour before they checked him again - which is fine with me, I put him to bed and only see him again 2 hours later when I wake him up!

It was just an accident. And god knows I pay her enough each month to cover stuff that might get damaged and/or broken!

LazyLinePainterJane Sat 25-Aug-07 12:47:03

Sounds to me as if it is not her travel cot and she knows she cannot return it in that condition.

Her fault, not yours.

WanderingTrolley Sat 25-Aug-07 12:50:01

She's wrong about it being uncleanable.

If you do end up replacing it, make sure she gives you the pooey travelcot so you can sell it on ebay. And replace her mum's with a second hand one if you must.

Bonkerz is right - she should be insured.

Sorry, not sure how to go about talking to her about it. Maybe ask her what her insurance covers?

fawkeoff Sat 25-Aug-07 12:51:38

i think she is over reacting, she could get a brand new travel system for £25-£30.It's not your fault that ds smeared poo all over it, if i wher you i would buy some pooper vests for when he is there so he doesnt smear anything else while he is in her care

fawkeoff Sat 25-Aug-07 12:52:16

pooper vests sorry

meandmy Sat 25-Aug-07 12:58:37

tell her you wont replace it but will clean it!
i hav scrubbed poo off one it does come off!

dustystar Sat 25-Aug-07 13:00:02

Persoanlly i can't believe she is expecting you to pay for it. Accidents happen and when you are minding you should have insurance to cover this. I certianly do. It may be that she has to pay the first £50-100 of a claim but thats really not your responsibility. We get all sorts of tax breaks to cover this sort of thing and TBH I think she's got a cheek to ask you for anything towards it let alone expect you to replace it.

QueenEagle Sat 25-Aug-07 13:04:59

Have asked about her being covered on insurance. She mentioned something about it not being worth her while to claim as she would pay an excess.

Do you mean vests with poppers under the crotch? Do they do them that big?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now