Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Am getting desperate now - mother's help - how much will that set me back.

(13 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Thu 23-Aug-07 16:26:55

We have no room for an aupair and no need for a nanny as dd is at school all day it is just an hour in the morning so how much would a mother's help cost me.

anyoneoutthere Thu 23-Aug-07 16:32:01

It could cost anything between £5 - £7 per hour

Mumpbump Thu 23-Aug-07 16:35:46

I'd second that. Our neighbour had a mother's help whom she paid £6 per hour.

twinsetandpearls Thu 23-Aug-07 16:47:55

How do I go about finding a mothers help as we have no agencies up here?

nannynick Thu 23-Aug-07 17:14:29

Postcard in local shop/newsagents window.
I would suggest putting on it details of what you want the person to do, as the time period is short and I expect you want them to do something specific, such as take your dd to school.

twinsetandpearls Thu 23-Aug-07 17:27:42

I will do that, I ahve a possibility for a childminder but if I can get someone at home it will make life easier.

What do I do about CRB checks.

Millarkie Thu 23-Aug-07 17:29:41

I've seen ads in the local paper for mother's helps - you could try that.
I've paid £10 for 1 hour (8am to 9am) in the past for someone to play with ds after breakfast then walk him to school.
Also try gumtree (free ads) there are local boards on there and maybe netmums? - also have local childcare boards.

nannynick Thu 23-Aug-07 17:35:11

>What do I do about CRB checks.
As a parent employing a private carer, at present you can't get a CRB check done on your employee.

Therefore, if you require that they have a CRB check, state that in your advertisement, and rely on the last check they had - ideally it should be less than a year old, though could be up to 3 years old. Suggest not accepting one older than 3 years.

twinsetandpearls Thu 23-Aug-07 18:00:32

had not thought about asking for current CRB check.

WanderingTrolley Thu 23-Aug-07 18:16:42

See if other nannies/parents at the school would be interested in having your dd.

Also, some playgroup/nursery teachers work as nannies out of school hours.

You could try the local college and see if there is a student on a relevant course (childcare? healthcare?) who might be interested.

Second the gumtree suggestion.

Good luck.

twinsetandpearls Thu 23-Aug-07 23:04:31

lots of ideas thankyou, I have a childminder calling me back tomorrow so all fingers crossed.

NannyCheck Fri 24-Aug-07 18:14:02

Hi there- we can help you with a new CRB and full background check if you candidate needs one. Happy to arrange a 'mumsnet' special fee for you if interested. Enjoy the long weekend!

natmatt Sat 25-Aug-07 14:35:38

hiya,
where abouts are you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now