Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

where have all the childminders gone?

(21 Posts)
twinsetandpearls Wed 22-Aug-07 16:11:16

I thought there were loads of childminders all seekeing work and worrying about children's centres taking their business but no in this town there is not one childminder with a vacancy in my area.

I am back at work in two weeks with no childcare and panic is starting to set in.

crace Wed 22-Aug-07 16:15:34

What area are you in? Perhaps someone on here can help you?

Have you tried www.childcarelink.gov.uk? Sorry would do link but am rubbish!

twinsetandpearls Wed 22-Aug-07 16:29:38

I am just outside of Blackpool, I have gone through everyone on the childcare information service website and tried looking on the web generally and not one childminder will drop off at my dd school. There is one that said he will consider it but at the moment has no places.

The school breakfast club starts too late for me to get to work and my dd hates it she sobs all the way in on the few occassions we have used it and all of this is upsetting enough for her without having to send her somewhere she hates

KaySamuels Wed 22-Aug-07 16:48:23

We have all quit due to Ofsted's increasing demands over tedious paperwork!

Call your children's information service up on the phone and ask them for the phone number of the local childminidng network. Someone there may know of childminders in the process of registering, so may not be advertising yet. This is how I got my first family, they were waiting for Ofsted to give me the ok! They may also if they are not far away from comleting their registration take you on unofficially (ie no pay) for a week or two as it means they have a client lined up for them. Anything is worth a try at this stage!

Also ask at school (may get hold of someone even though its the hols), they may know of someone as not everyone advertises online.

Good luck!

twinsetandpearls Wed 22-Aug-07 16:58:15

I think you may be right one of my friend's is a very good childminder but has had to quit due to paperwork.

I am so stressed, I ahve had a major fall out with my mum who looks after dd in the mornings and now have no childcare. I ahve phoned up the CIS and they have no one, we had the same problem when I tried finding a childminder when waiting for dd nusery to open.

twinsetandpearls Wed 22-Aug-07 17:00:53

We looked nto getting an aupair as we knew my mum was unreliable and that there were no childminders here but it would mean moving dd into the boxroom and dp didn;t like the thought of someone living in our house

KaySamuels Wed 22-Aug-07 17:02:53

Seriously if there is a network in your area they will be really helpful and supportive, and try really hard to find you someone, at least my network here would anyway!

Thats a shame about your mum, do you have anyone else who could help you out temporarily?

KaySamuels Wed 22-Aug-07 17:03:58

Ooh just thought, what about a childcare student at your local college? Could come to you at home then drop dd at school and go on to college?

mogs0 Wed 22-Aug-07 20:13:59

I'm not on the CIS list as I have had enough mindees since I started so haven't had to look too hard to fill spaces. I also keep a space free for emergency/ad-hoc care. So, I agree with KS about contacting CM network.

Any chance of making it up with your Mum?

twinsetandpearls Wed 22-Aug-07 23:12:19

The networks don;t include the area in which we live and dd goes to school, I will try again tomorrow though. I did have exactly the same problem when I started work and wanted a childminder and in the end had to give up.

mogs0 Wed 22-Aug-07 23:28:08

Do you mean that your dd goes to a school outside Brentford?

twinsetandpearls Wed 22-Aug-07 23:56:49

Brentford???

No we live just outside of Blackpool.

twinsetandpearls Thu 23-Aug-07 16:13:43

Was given a rewcomendation by the childcare services department and she stopped childminding a year ago, I am so stressed now I could sit and cry.

twinsetandpearls Thu 23-Aug-07 16:16:25

have phoned them back on the verge of tears and a very nice man said he will try phoning around for me.

twinsetandpearls Thu 23-Aug-07 16:57:59

have got one possibilty who is working out her figures and numbers and will get back to me tomorrow.

KaySamuels Thu 23-Aug-07 17:46:29

fingers crossed for you

xyzabc Fri 31-Aug-07 11:25:52

in my area (just outside london) chilminders are becoming more popular. mums sick of nursery sky high charges, and wanting a more natural enviroment for thier child. i have been c/m for years and am turning people away all the time as can only have 3 children. but good luck!

PinkChick Fri 31-Aug-07 14:36:21

one of the c.ms on here is outside blackpool??..dmo maybe?..might be wrong?

dmo Sun 02-Sep-07 20:00:06

yes pinkchick i'm in Preston but couldnt drive that far for a school run
could help in the school hols if you need me smile

how was the hol pinkchick?? we just got back yesterday and its back to work tomo seemed to have gone far to quick but i have got a fab tan wink

PinkChick Mon 03-Sep-07 08:35:46

oh it was fab DMO, loved it and although was ready to come home, now i am home, i wish i was still there esp as i have 5 children today!!!!

was yours good then?, i have a fairly good tan considering i was on sunblock 50 for first 4 days!hmm upon advise from very tanned friendshmm..we were booking to go with them again next year then changed mind as didnt want to wait 10 months but now, after getting deposit back off them, think we may actually want to go as we enjoy their company and its a very cheap hol as we're all staying in same hiuge apartment!!..we can neevr make our minds upsmile

PinkChick Mon 03-Sep-07 08:58:56

scrap that, freinds two dd's who were adhoc have just been picked up unexpectantly by their grandad, so im two children and £30 down on day..hey ho, felt bad charging friend anyway!, but if i offer to have them(when im not busy and i offer i dont charge, when they ask, i charge, feels awkward but what can you do!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now