Talk

Advanced search

I need help ! Holiday pay for nannies

(3 Posts)
whyismysoullost Tue 05-Nov-19 13:01:06

Hello,

I am in such a mess. We have recently hired a new nanny and I'm completely new to the whole set up regarding Pay role.

I am using PAYEfornannies as they have been excellent whenever I have queries but as you know, they cannot give personal advice.

1) I don't know whether I should take pay annually or pay her on the basis of how many hours she worked but this will accur a 12.07....

- she will be working 12 hours a week in December, 9 hours in Jan-June then 12 hours in July again.

2) Holiday pay: The nanny is off for 4 weeks in December and is coming back in early January. This is fine as we are away during this time. However, PAYEfornannies said as she wouldn't be accuring enough hours till December. She will only be entitled to 4.7 days of paid holiday (that's if we take the annualised pay agreement).

I don't think 4.7 days will be enough for paid holiday anyways. But I need your advice in regards to how many days or weeks should I pay her during the holidays whilst we are both away.

OP’s posts: |
JoJoSM2 Tue 05-Nov-19 19:22:44

If you told the nanny that you'd be away in December, then you should pay her the full pay for those weeks. If she has requested annual leave for that period first, then you need to discuss whether some of it is unpaid as she won't have accrued enough paid leave.

Normally, the agreement is that the family choose some of the holidays and the nanny chooses some of the holidays. You need to give each other an agreed period of notice. If you happen to travel a lot, e.g. a month in winter and a month in summer, the nanny just gets paid as normal.

nannynick Tue 05-Nov-19 20:44:58

Holiday is usually done annually based on the contracted days and hours. The holiday year usually runs 1st Jan - 31st December, or from start date to day before anniversary.

>I don't know whether I should take pay annually or pay her on the basis of how many hours she worked but this will accur a 12.07....
- she will be working 12 hours a week in December, 9 hours in Jan-June then 12 hours in July again.

When can they take holiday? If they are doing 12 hours a week in December, can they take holiday during those 12 hours a week?
If so, then I would use 10.76% of working hours as the holiday calculation, not 12.07% which is when the holiday is added on top of the working hours.
If it suited you all, I would calculate the holiday annually on the contracted hours, so work out how many hours they work each calendar week and total that up over a 52 week period.

2) Holiday pay: The nanny is off for 4 weeks in December and is coming back in early January.

I'm confused, how will they be doing 12 hours per week in December if they are off the vast majority of it?

>This is fine as we are away during this time. However, PAYEfornannies said as she wouldn't be accuring enough hours till December. She will only be entitled to 4.7 days of paid holiday (that's if we take the annualised pay agreement).

That may well be the case, surprised though it was not calculated in hours. I would recalculate in hours... could have the same result though as taking holiday in December would all be 12 hour weeks how you describe it.

Could using some unpaid leave work for your nanny? They can't really expect to start a job in December, work a few days and then have 4 weeks paid leave. That sounds unreasonable to me.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in