Advanced search

Childcare overnight

(9 Posts)
Bla80 Thu 26-Sep-19 12:41:37

Hi I've been asked to mind a child for parents wedding I've to pick child up (45min drive) bring him to my house then drop him back the next day another( 45 min drive) how much should I charge baby is 5 months old any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

OP’s posts: |
ChildminderMum Thu 26-Sep-19 13:16:46

I'd charge your weekend/unsociable hours rate from when you leave your house until bedtime, £50 overnight, then charge from morning until you return home the next day.

Fantasisa Thu 26-Sep-19 13:18:55

I would charge more than £50 overnight, particularly for a five month old who is unlikely to sleep through.

Fantasisa Thu 26-Sep-19 13:19:11

(Not a childminder)

mankyfourthtoe Thu 26-Sep-19 13:21:10

You used to have to get ofsted permission to have overnights but I think that went. But check your insurance and I'd have an overnights policy, where the child would sleep, fire evacuation from upstairs etc.

mymadworld Thu 26-Sep-19 13:39:54

I would be charging my anti-social hourly rate (assuming its weekend) from when I left my house until 7pm then a fixed overnight charge (I charge £75 for under 5's £50 for overs) then hourly rate from 7am until including the drive back to my house after I'd dropped off. Maybe see if they'd rather put you up in a nearby hotel and take a good book and enjoy room service!

itsaboojum Fri 27-Sep-19 08:14:18

I don’t think you need inform Ofsted of overnight care as such, but you ought to inform them in the sense that it’s a change to your opening hours.

Your next inspector should know about it (it will show on your attendance record) and will expect to see appropriate resources, insurance, risk assessment, etc.

Think about how this affects your working hours and don’t assume they’ll necessarily just sleep through. Some inspectors take a dim view of childminders working vast number# of hours with children across the week as a whole, or continuous periods if working days either side of overnight care.

JaneO1297 Sat 28-Sep-19 22:04:53

In response to the previous comment, you don't need permission from Ofsted to provide overnight care but Ofsted do need to be notified when a childminder (assuming you're a registered childminder in England) intends to provide overnight care, section 3.77 of the EYFS.

itsaboojum Sun 29-Sep-19 08:48:14


Thanks for the clarification.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in