Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I am really gutted. All my childminder friends say I should appeal. What do you think?

(16 Posts)
nally Sat 11-Aug-07 11:36:44

My inspection was on Wednesday. The inspector said she was impressed with my policies, was more than satisfied with the care side of things, she could see that the children were happy, she thought I was doing a good job, plenty of activities, outings, experiences, all Birth 2 Three things covered.

BUT she had to grade me 'inadequate' because
a) I hadn't written to tell them I was having the loft converted (tbh it hadn't occurred to me to tell them because it doesn't affect my childminding - the kids aren't allowed upstairs apart from to use the toilet)
b) I had used an assistant who was CRB checked, a teacher and who had worked with another childminder, but who hadn't completed the CM2 form for me (I didn't know about the CM2 forms)
and
c) Although booked onto a First Aid course, my certificate has just lapsed. I explained to her that I had been on the list to do an earlier course which had been cancelled, then booked myself onto the earliest one after that.

Anyways, 2 of those things have been resolved already (loft letter & CM2 issue) and my First Aid will be sorted out in 6 weeks. I have requested an inspection following that, but they said it would be anywhere between 6 and 12 months, not earlier. So I could have this 'inadequate' label hanging over my head for a year

I would have been happy with satisfactory, seeing as there are 3 issues, but as the care is not a problem, I think inadequate is a bit harsh.

Am I wrong?

looneytune Sat 11-Aug-07 11:43:29

As you already know, I think this is unfair to be down graded SO MUCH for these reasons, certainly the first aid course as that's not your fault!!! I'd appeal, I really would. I made a mistake re: assistant and I still got a good and I wouldn't have thought about the loft conversion either. I think Inadequate is just so unfair and you should be able to be quickly inspected again soon for the bits you've put right!!

Good luck!

nally Sat 11-Aug-07 11:48:20

bump?

bambi06 Sat 11-Aug-07 11:58:21

i`d appeal as well..i didnt have an up to date first aid certificate once as there was a long waiting list and inspector was fine about that.. argue your case saying what the inspector had said about how happy she was about your care ..etc and keep on a t them.............!!

nally Sat 11-Aug-07 12:00:45

maybe i can try and get a letter from the person who was going to run the course that got cancelled. not sure if i have her address, but the NCMA trainer who was running the DHC unit 4 course must have the info, as she was the one who told me about it.

nally Sat 11-Aug-07 12:36:05

does anyone know any Ofsted inspectors, to get their opinion on this???

Bubble99 Sat 11-Aug-07 12:50:00

How long ago did your first aid cert lapse? If you can prove that the cancelled course was for before your current one lapsed (ie. there would have been no break between you having learned/updated the skills) then that should have been acceptable, IMO.

Also, and this sounds harsh, sorry. The fact that you 'didn't know' about the CM2 form is no defence. You have to know about these things.

Loft conversion issue seems a bit harsh, though.

nally Sat 11-Aug-07 12:54:17

was on the list for the other course in April. certificate lapsed in July. now on a course for September.

that's fine about the comment re CM2s.. only I spoke with an Ofsted person back in feb about looking after a couple of kids and she said i could only do it with an assistant, who could be anyone who is CRB checked. no mention of CM2 forms during that conversation...

Bubble99 Sat 11-Aug-07 12:58:23

IME you need to second guess OFSTED a lot. And don't rely on any info you get from their 'helpline' as it will be different from one 'advisor' to the next.

You have to get hold of The National Standards and follow them to the letter. If you do this you have a printed document as your alibi rather than what an 'OFSTED person' may or may not have told you.

looneytune Sat 11-Aug-07 12:58:44

Nally

- show them some evidence about the course and I'm sure they'll have to do something about that, it's not your fault!

- tell them about your phone call to Ofsted about the assistant thing.....they are ALWAYS getting things wrong and it's THEIR fault. Yes, we should know these things BUT if we phone OFSTED for information, we expect this to be correct!!! They've cocked up so many times it's untrue!!

- loft conversion seems tough but not sure you can do anything about that but certainly mention it in your appeal

looneytune Sat 11-Aug-07 13:00:30

Agree with Bubble99 but also, we SHOULD be able to rely on their info. They should NOT be allowed to get things so wrong all the time. Yes, I ask for things in writing now but nally still wasn't totally at fault for this. It's about time they gave their staff on the helpline a good shake. They'd be better off telling us to read the standards to check than to give us info that's wrong!

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sat 11-Aug-07 13:04:02

IMO I would not be bothered as a parent by the First Aid issue, it is not as if your First Aid chip was wiped the day your certificate expired.

I would however be peed off by the loft conversion thing, all you need is one lazy builder, a child on trip to the toilet and you have a possible accident, cut, dropped hammer etc.

CM2 borderline, it is up to you to be abreast of all developments.

However if this was my CM, I would not have moved my DS based on the opinion of a desk jockey.

beansprout Sat 11-Aug-07 13:30:46

I pretty much agree with Bree on the separate issues but that aside, I think it is a real shame to have a good CM downgraded on this basis. I hope they see sense and reinspect you soon. This is your living and boy do us parents need good CMs!!

nally Sat 11-Aug-07 15:20:26

Have spoken to the NCMA trainer and she said that she will put it in writing that the course I was going to do was cancelled, so hopefully that will help with that one. She asked who my inspector was and said "say no more".

The parents have been fine about it and have no problems with the issues raised. They have offered to write to Ofsted themselves - bless them. I have explained that it is a matter of me not getting the relevant paperwork done and the First Aid thing, rather than anything to do with me as a suitable person.

gess Sat 11-Aug-07 15:50:00

Dare I ak what a CM2 form is?

As a parent I wouldn;t give a monkeys about any of this. Presumably the report will show the children are well cared for- can you show potential parents that (and perhaps ask your current parents for copies of the letters they send in your support).

DS2's nursery got downgraded for not having a sign up saying "if you want a drink please ask an adult". The inspector wanted open jugs in the room for the children *(aged 2) to help themselves.

I don\t think these people have been near a real child

nally Sat 11-Aug-07 16:08:37

A CM2 form is something a person who intends to work with a childminder as their assistant has to fill in, so that they can be CRB checked if they haven't already. I think Ofsted do a health check as well, as they do with childminders (see how I have done my homework?)

The problem was that although this person had a valid enhanced CRB disclosure, I hadn't registered them as my assistant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now