Talk

Advanced search

Snack after school

(17 Posts)
Squaretoe Tue 17-Sep-19 10:36:17

We have found a lovely childminder to do school and preschool pick ups twice a week. She doesn't give an evening meal but says we are welcome to send snacks. Both DDs will be having packed lunches so I'd rather not send a packed dinner as well, but I need them to have something decent to eat after school and preschool as they're always starving by then. I'll be picking them up at 5:20/5:30 and they'll have dinner at home by 6pm latest.

What snacks can I send for them to have after school that are filling enough and I can either prepare the night before or don't require any prep?

OP’s posts: |
maryberryslayers Tue 17-Sep-19 10:52:12

Things that require no prep - apple, banana, cheese and cracker snack packs, babybel, cooked chicken pieces, oat bars, yoghurt, trail mix, pretzels, raisins, houmus and Pitta ect. It doesn't need to be anything special, it's only 2 hours. Just batch cook some dinners to heat when you get in so they aren't waiting extra time for that.

ChildminderMum Tue 17-Sep-19 13:34:52

I'd send something like a banana, babybel/cheese string, little malt loaf bar.

Ricekrispie22 Tue 17-Sep-19 13:46:42

Carrot flapjacks www.myfussyeater.com/savoury-carrot-flapjacks/
Cheese flapjacks www.british-leeks.co.uk/recipe/leek-cheese-flapjacks.php A batch will last all week.
Sandwiches
Frittata muffins can be made and frozen, just get out the quantity you need as and when you need them realfood.tesco.com/recipes/green-frittata-muffins.html
realfood.tesco.com/recipes/oven-baked-pea-ham-and-pasta-frittatas.html

Ricekrispie22 Tue 17-Sep-19 13:48:12

When my dc went to the childminder after school, at the beginning of each week I’d give her a box of cereal and a 2-pint bottle of milk, which she’d keep so they could have a bowl of cereal at hers after school.

SayOohLaLa Tue 17-Sep-19 13:53:27

Spread cheese dunkers, mini malt loaves, rice cakes if your kids like them

SeekingShade Thu 03-Oct-19 12:48:54

would she be willing to make toast or heat food in the microwave?

Raphael34 Thu 03-Oct-19 12:50:34

Fruit or a small bowl of cereal

Teddybear45 Thu 03-Oct-19 12:56:10

I would just pack an extra sandwich and some cheese and wrap them seperately for the snacks.

RedElephants Sat 05-Oct-19 09:32:24

Was toast, occasionally fruit bread, and/or fruit here for after school snack, with either water or milk.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 09-Oct-19 13:56:27

Is it normal for a cm to not do food but also no snacks

A piece of fruit - bowl of cereal - toast - oatcakes / sticks is cucumber carrot humours etx

jannier Wed 09-Oct-19 16:03:10

@Blondeshavemorefun
It depends on the childminder. Some do tea some dont. I stopped a long time ago as it wasnt working getting in with hungry children at 3.30 then some needing a snack others expecting full dinner but all leaving by 5. Parents can sort a tea at home and eat together rather than go home for an hour while I feed them. I get time with my family taking to clubs etc and no longer get children left after hours becouse parents fell asleep or went shopping and over run.....happened too often and mine missed out on parents evenings, scouts, parties etc while parents were home.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 09-Oct-19 17:27:11

I get not cooking tea but surely a cm could give a healthy snack

PhonicTheHedgehog Wed 09-Oct-19 17:33:16

I’d be wary about sending anything containing nuts or seeds if the snack is going into school. If it’s going to the childminders in the morning and staying there I’d be less concerned about allergies.

RedElephants Thu 10-Oct-19 18:21:25

blondes
When I first started childminding I used to provide healthy cooked food.
Problem was it got left mostly as it wasn't the same as their parents (ready meals/McDonalds) gave them..!!
too expensive to keep throwing food away, so I stopped.
Parents were asked to send in a packed lunch and /or tea.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 12-Oct-19 14:48:33

@RedElephants I understand the no cooking. Esp fussy eaters

Just surprised a cm wouldn’t previde a-snack after school

2anddone Mon 14-Oct-19 12:27:20

I provide an after school snack it's usually a choice of fruit or vegetable and a biscuit type option (cracker, breadstick, biscuit etc). I have had parents ask me to stop shopping in Aldi as their child only likes branded and another ask for more options...I reply 'It's a snack not a meal they are all going home for a meal'.
Completely understand why a Cm wouldn't provide a snack the children here are totally ungrateful unless it's a birthday then they get cake!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in