Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

BEING PAID AS A CHILDMINDER

(9 Posts)
claire1904 Thu 09-Aug-07 13:54:46

I am going to be starting looking after my friends children.

Jusr wondered what other people do with regards to being paid. is it paid directly into account and also do you get paid at the end of the week for hte week you have just worked or do you charge a week in advance.

many thanks

nannynick Thu 09-Aug-07 14:15:56

Payment can be either in advance, or in arrears. It depends on how you want to operate and it can be a good idea to include payment terms in your contract with the parents.

A lot of childminders these days I find like payment in advance, either weekly or monthly.
Parents often pay via a combination of cheque and childcare vouchers. Some parents prefer electronic payment, which is personally what I also prefer, so that is direct between accounts.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 09-Aug-07 14:17:19

I pay our childminders 4 weeks in advance (we pay 4 weekly so it is the same each time we pay, rather than paying monthly where there would be a different amount of days each time).

nannynick Thu 09-Aug-07 14:18:16

Are you in England? Are you caring for the children at your own home?

If so, are you Registered with Ofsted? This is a legal requirement for anyone providing care for 2 hours or more per day, at their own home (the carers home). If you are caring for the children at their home, then you are classed as a nanny, and the parents are generally speaking your employers.

looneytune Thu 09-Aug-07 14:19:00

I am paid monthly, in advance, and try and get parents to pay me by standing order.

Are you using NCMA contracts? If so, it's just a matter of ticking the box you choose and you can write weekly or monthly, whatever you prefer.

claire1904 Thu 09-Aug-07 14:19:02

yeah i was thinking about getting a payment week in advance. it is difficult when its a friends children as you tend to be more relaxed about it all however i know that I have to remember that i have to be quite strict with it all.

thanks

claire

looneytune Thu 09-Aug-07 14:20:28

Presuming you're a registered childminder, I'd treat them the same as you do all your other parents.

claire1904 Thu 09-Aug-07 14:22:24

yeah, i am in the process of becoming registered

nannynick Thu 09-Aug-07 15:25:41

Even though they are friends, best long term to see it as a business arrangement. So start as you wish to go on, thus weekly in advance sounds like a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now