Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Question for Aupairs: How do you become an aupair?

(9 Posts)
macmama73 Mon 06-Aug-07 13:06:06

Our lovely cleaner is thinking about looking for a job as an aupair next year when she finishes school. How does she go about it?

Would you recommend an agency?

Does the family normally pay for the flights?

How much can she expect to earn?

She would like to go to Spain to improve her Spanish language skills. She is German and speaks good English. Ideal would be a German or English family living in Spain. Does anyone know where to look for a job in Spain?

Any other tips you can give?

Thanks for your help!

MightyMoosh Mon 06-Aug-07 13:18:04

The best thing to do is pop to waterstones, amazon etc and get The Au Pair and Nanny's Guide to Working Abroad(latest edition I think is 6th)its got good advice and a huge directory of agencies, listing what countries they specialize in. If going abroad an agency is best to sort out legalities, for the best chance she should try and get paediactric first aid, fairly cheap to do, 10 hour course over two saterdays for example. or do a search for agencies using that criteria, she will have to meet the agency first so best to find one based in UK or with UK office.

Good luck! (book is £8.42 on amazon, well worth it)

macmama73 Mon 06-Aug-07 13:36:12

We live in Germany so will look here if we can order that from amazon.

She will have just done her first aid certificate as she has just passed her driving test. There is no specific paediatric bit in it though, so that might be worth her looking into.

Anyone in Germany know if there is any way to find out which agencies are reliable? I think I saw something not long ago on TV that anyone can open an agency here.

Thanks!

MightyMoosh Mon 06-Aug-07 13:44:35

Driving licence will really make her employable, she should have more choice of job, especially if there is any way of her getting experience of driving children. Difficult I know, but if there is a way she would be really well received. A general 1st aid may be good enough, as an aupair rather than nanny.

macmama73 Mon 06-Aug-07 13:52:26

lol, I can lend her my DCs to drive around the village!

Actually, not a bad idea. Will ask her if she wants to babysit occasionally, that gives her an idea what a job as an aupair would be like. And it gives her a reference, which would be good to.

MightyMoosh Mon 06-Aug-07 13:54:32

Oh yes references are really good, maybe getting her to babysit a friends kiddies for free in return for a good reference?

macmama73 Mon 06-Aug-07 20:58:06

Hopeful bump

StarryStarryNight Mon 06-Aug-07 22:36:36

she can register on
Au Pair World

It is a au pair and host family "match making" site

macmama73 Tue 07-Aug-07 15:34:33

Thanks, that site looks great. Will pass that on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now