Talk

Advanced search

Help... do I change childminders

(12 Posts)
Mummyinatizzy Wed 31-Jul-19 19:41:02

Basically my daughter has been doing an extended Settling in period with a childminder, she seems to like the childminder and the childminder likes her. I really like the lady too. She’s done absolutely nothing wrong. However only works a 4 day week, which leaves me an issue with Wednesdays. The plan was that my husband and I were going to take some Wednesdays off as were our parents. This plan has left me with a problem!

We have found another childminder that can do the Wednesdays, she seems lovely but my daughter hasn’t done any Settling in there yet. She has just messaged to say that she’s just had someone say they are moving house so there would be a full time vacancy available from September. She is based much more centrally between my home and my work. She also does a lot more outdoor play from what has been said by both childminders.

What do I do?

OP’s posts: |
Alb1 Wed 31-Jul-19 19:43:39

Go for the more convenient childminder, long term it will suit better and your daughter will soon forget she ever met the first one anyway! It’s a shame for the first childminder but just say your sorry your circumstances have changed and you now need wednesdays coveting, blame work changing their minds or something if it helps

Mammalian Wed 31-Jul-19 19:46:17

Well if you're worried about hurting the childminder's feelings, you just have to be honest with her, that you really like her, so does LO but your arrangements have changed - and basically all you mentioned above. I presume you paid her for the settling in? Maybe out of courtesy could you pay her for a few more days if you can afford it?

At the end of the day you have to do what's right for you.

Are you happy with not taking a day off to spend with LO? And if you decide to do it every so often, will you still have to pay full- time?

I wouldn't worry about re- settling with another minder, they adapt very quickly

Brain06626 Thu 01-Aug-19 04:31:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

underneaththeash Thu 01-Aug-19 07:49:20

I'd definitely take it, however you may need to give notice to the current childminder - have a look at your contract.

Maryann1975 Mon 05-Aug-19 23:55:29

I’m a childminder who works a four day week and I have to accept that some families do need care for the fifth day and those are the families I will loose. Tbh, I wouldn’t have thought your situation would work long term, with parents/grandparents taking a day off each week to cover the childcare. If you are on a five day week, you will need childcare for 5 days.
It sounds as though the new childminder will be a better fit for you, so I would move their, but as others have said, you may have to pay the first childminder to cover her notice period (although you are entitled to use the place during this time.

Chilledout11 Mon 05-Aug-19 23:58:11

I think go for the five day more convenient minder. You will have to work out some kind of notice I presume.

rain2sunshine Tue 06-Aug-19 05:40:56

Could you not have a chat with your current Childminder and explain the situation. She might consider doing the odd Wednesday to cover any weeks your family can't cover. Might save you a bit of money too if you aren't contracted to 5 days a week?

rain2sunshine Tue 06-Aug-19 05:41:01

Could you not have a chat with your current Childminder and explain the situation. She might consider doing the odd Wednesday to cover any weeks your family can't cover. Might save you a bit of money too if you aren't contracted to 5 days a week?

rain2sunshine Tue 06-Aug-19 05:41:05

rain2sunshine Tue 06-Aug-19 05:41:11

rain2sunshine Tue 06-Aug-19 05:41:43

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in