Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Australian Visa Question

(6 Posts)
tigger15 Tue 31-Jul-07 09:28:59

We just offered a job to an Australian nanny (who told us she had a visa for another 18 months) and she has now told us that she can only work for another 6 months. From googling I think this means she has a working holiday visa (allows you in the country for 24 months but working for only 12 of those). Does anyone know how to get round this problem? We really liked the nanny but are looking for someone for at least a year if not longer.

Lawrene8 Tue 31-Jul-07 11:43:22

I'd agree that she's probably on the working holiday maker visa - unfortunately there's no legal way around it. There's no extension to the working holidaymaker visa and australians can't register as an au pair.

alycat Tue 31-Jul-07 12:02:24

If you can prove they are the only person for the job and readvertise the position (in a way specified by the Home Office) you can extend their visa.

Have only done this for my PR Agency staff not APs as I think it would be very difficult to prove they are the only person for the job.

However if they have a specific skill in relation to your children - I have to teach my APs Makaton as my DS communicates this way - you may give it a fgo. Generally a time/money consuming exercise. I probably wouldn't bother for an AP no matter how good.

expatinscotland Tue 31-Jul-07 12:10:17

Does she have a British grandparent? She might be able to claim Right of Abode through them and stay on permanently.

nannynick Tue 31-Jul-07 18:16:36

Alas not much can be done if on a Working Holidaymaker visa (see Working Holidaymaker Guidance - INF15 ) they can only work for 12 months in total out of their 24 month stay in the UK.

Expect you will need to hunt for another nanny.

NannyCheck Tue 07-Aug-07 17:56:08

If she has a degree she may be eligible for the Highly Skilled Migrant Visa, although at live in earning rates she may not meet the requirements for salary- you can check eligibility by google searching 'highly skilled migrant visa calculator' and visiting the work permit. com website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now