Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM CLUB Need advice on how to word a letter

(15 Posts)
OFSTEDoutstanding Wed 25-Jul-07 21:31:34

Hi I am trying to get organised and parents have already asked me about christmas opening in theory my last day of work is Thurs 20th Dec as I don't work Fridays and don't intend to work christmas eve. This means only work day for me will be Thurs 27th Dec and Mon 31st Dec. Want to write a letter to parents to let them know I will be open those 2 days if they need me so that they can go to work but to be honest I begrudge working them for the parents to go sale shopping!! How can I word this letter? I am wondering if it might be easier to close until 2nd Jan but 1 parent will def want me as work in hospitality trade. Its really my after schoolies and term time only children that book extra dates in holidays that I don't really want. Please help TIA

OFSTEDoutstanding Wed 25-Jul-07 22:03:44

Anyone would really like to send it home this week?

Shoshable Wed 25-Jul-07 22:08:14

I don't work between Christmas and New Year, for me it is standard every year, but then none of my parents need me, and I have this time as part of my annual holiday. If you don't need the money take the time off, by Christmas you need it.!!!

bozza Wed 25-Jul-07 22:13:16

What so you decide whether the parents have a good enough reason for using your services? As it happens I have already booked the Christmas week off with my CM, because I know DH will be off that week. I will probably have to work some.

Katymac Wed 25-Jul-07 22:15:52

Tricky

How about "Christmas is a time for families and I want to spend time wih my family as I know you want to spend time with yours. I will only be avaiable to work on Thurs 27th Dec and Mon 31st Dec for essential childminding, so if you have to go into work I will be prepared to mind. If however you have time off I know that you will prefer to spend time with your children over this festive period"

Or is that patronising?

OFSTEDoutstanding Wed 25-Jul-07 22:17:08

Its not a case of deciding if they have a good enough reason, its more the fact that after 15 years being used as a nanny now I am my own boss so to speak I would rather close unless it will cause a problem for my parents that have to go to work.

Katymac Wed 25-Jul-07 22:17:53

Well why not close

bozza Wed 25-Jul-07 22:18:28

Yes I am sure every parent would love to take their children to the sales rather than leaving them with the childminder.

Sorry ofsted. you want advice not opinions, don't you?

OFSTEDoutstanding Wed 25-Jul-07 22:20:00

Thanks Katymac. I used to have to work 8-8 between christmas and new year when I was a nanny so parents could go shopping or away for the night Therefore really only want to open for essential cm work esp as dh will be on factory shut down and ds is now 2 and will love christmas this year.

bozza Wed 25-Jul-07 22:20:33

Would it cause a problem if you closed? Like I said, I may have to work but DH will be off. And my SIL and BIL always work but the nursery they use is closed, but they know they can call on grandparents that week.

I feel a bit mean now, because really you are being too nice, rather than the other way round as I implied.

bozza Wed 25-Jul-07 22:21:31

Can't you take it as a holiday week? Or have you already used them all?

OFSTEDoutstanding Wed 25-Jul-07 22:24:57

Thats ok bozza no worries when I reread how I wrote first piece it does make me sound like a moaning old cow!! I don't mind having mindee 1 who is 1 as it was discussed when I signed him up as parents work in hotel trade so have to work during christmas break, it is my after schoolies ternm time only kids that I dont really want. Think I will send out a letter saying I am not taking on any extra hours over the christmas break and then that way the term time only children can't book extra and mindee1 can still come without looking like I am playing favourites as he is all year. What do you think?

bozza Wed 25-Jul-07 22:27:00

I think that is the only way of doing it really.

Katymac Wed 25-Jul-07 22:27:51

That's much more polite than my bit

OFSTEDoutstanding Wed 25-Jul-07 22:32:21

Thanks for your advice its at times like this I realise what a minefield being a cm can be! Have got my first ever contract review in a couple of weeks do either of you know how that usually works?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now