Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM CLUB - Talk to me about reserving spaces ahead and deposits - need to know fairly quickly if poss.........

(8 Posts)
looneytune Wed 25-Jul-07 17:25:45

Hi

Just started thinking ahead to January when ds becomes a rising 5 and started advertising ahead. Well, had 4 enquiries already so I need some advice.

I know I don't need to charge a retainer as the space isn't available til Jan. So....I'm guessing the norm is to ask for a deposit to reserve the space and then knock that amount off the first invoice?? Is that what others do? If so, what do you charge?

I have the equivilent of a full time space as ds will be an over 5. The double pay mum still wants to pay double for the Thurs and Fri but may want 1 or 2 of the other days (understands that it will be single rate as I already have 2 kids). I have another friend possibly wanting 3 days for her 2 kids (older one I couldn't take til easter and she's fine). So basically, I've no idea yet what days people will take so rather than say an amount, what sort of percentage do you think I should take as a deposit?

Anything else I should be thinking of? This is the first time I've been in a position to reserve a space ahead iyswim.

TIA

Shoshable Wed 25-Jul-07 17:39:35

I get paid monthly in advance and only take full time (5 days a week 8 hours a day) children so I ask for 1 weeks deposit, if that's any help.

looneytune Wed 25-Jul-07 18:27:44

Ok. So I charge monthly in advance but I have a mix of part timers doing full days. SOOOO, I suppose I could do the same as you. Double pay babies mum has just requested Monday's are reserved so I guess that would just be a deposit of 1 days fee?

Anyone else charge different?

looneytune Wed 25-Jul-07 20:34:02

bump

Katymac Thu 26-Jul-07 09:00:27

I take a months money as deposit

looneytune Thu 26-Jul-07 09:11:17

Cheers Katy. I think I may do a month as it's not going to be a full week. Because for the person reserving the extra day, it would only be about £38 and to me, that's not a huge commitment and it worries me turning other work away. The only thing is, I have a friend who MAY want 3 days a week for her youngest dd. I've told her IF she wants it, I'll have to charge a deposit as I HAVE to keep it the same as everyone else as it's a business - I can't afford the risk! BUT....I'm not sure about asking for a month upfront? A weeks money would be roughly £114 and a month's roughly £456. I don't suppose it matters as it's knocked off the first month's payment. Oh, I don't know. Maybe ask for 2 weeks payment?

I wonder if my friend is reading this (she's a MNetter) - if you are, sorry, I always come on here to check these sort of thing to make sure I do things fair

Katymac Thu 26-Jul-07 09:17:41

I think it depends on how much she would be prepared to lose - IF she decides not to use you - would a week's worth be a lot of money to her?

looneytune Thu 26-Jul-07 09:44:49

The friend one would only not use me if she had a change of circumstances - she's been nagging me for ages for a space and won't use anyone else. January is the earliest I can help with one of her children, Easter is when I can take on the 2nd child. So, this is what she wants - she's just waiting to find something out from work next week (lots of stuff going on) and then she should know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: