Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CHILDMINDERS - When do under-5's count as over-5's on reg cert?

(16 Posts)
AskABusyPerson Fri 20-Jul-07 12:19:17

I have a child starting with me in September who won't be 5 until late November but I know I can count her as over-5 once she is doing 10 sessions a week at school.

The school she is going to do a staggered intake over the first few weeks of term, to let the children get used to the school/teachers/being there all day, so she'll be doing eg 9-12 then 9-1 for a few weeks before doing the whole day. As it's the school's decision to do this, do I count her as over-5 for my reg cert from first day of term or do I have to wait until she does actually start doing 10 sessions a week?

I know I could probably ask Ofsted but I thought someone on here would probably know! Thanks.

mumlove Fri 20-Jul-07 12:27:37

You have to wait until they do their first whole day at school eg 9-3.

I have to wait until the last week in October before I can put 1 of mine up.

Rubybees Fri 20-Jul-07 13:08:04

As already said not until starts full time school! Ofsted are very good with this and I have had two time where this has happened and got a variation no problem

HTH

AskABusyPerson Fri 20-Jul-07 16:50:23

Thank you ladies, I knew there would be someone to tell me the answer! Thanks again!

fedupwithallthispaperwork Sat 21-Jul-07 11:06:38

ofsted have told me 3 times (coz i dont trust them, i have called 3 times) that my rising 5s can start as of beg school hols. so new ones can come in sept or now if i wanted.

stacie1985 Sat 21-Jul-07 20:18:00

HELLO just wanted to ask I have just recently taken on my first mindee he is only 3 and a half but will be attending school all day mon and tue when i care for him but i dont know if he going all wk coz i dont care for him so would he classed as over 5 any help would be appreciated

Katymac Sat 21-Jul-07 20:24:50

Stacie - AFAIU 3yo's cannot be rising 5

rising 5's MUST attend reception full time - you can only do that once you are 4

AABP - I'm really not sure about yours - if they went F/T in jan then they definatly wouldn't be a rising 5

but agreeing with fedup my rising 5 was classed by OFSTED as a rising five from the end of teh Christmas term as he started in Jan

That doesn't help you tho'

AskABusyPerson Sun 22-Jul-07 09:48:46

Thanks Katymac, I don't have a problem as yet with fitting other children in as am quite quiet at the mo, it was more whether or not I charge the parent whilst mindee is doing part-time at school as it would take up an under-5 place that I could fill with any of my ad-hoc mindees who may or may not ask for my service.....so I will charge as will be dropping off at 9 and collecting at 12 or 1 like a playgroup!

looneytune Mon 23-Jul-07 17:33:38

Right, this was annoying me (i.e. not trusting OFSTED) so I emailed to ask for confirmation and told them a childminder had been told this 3 times! This is their reply....

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your e-mail.

If a child is going to be doing 10 sessions a week next term they would be classed as a rising 5.

A child has to be physically attending 10 sessions a week before they can be classed as a rising 5.

So I emailed them back saying 'so were the 3 different people at OFSTED wrong then' - we'll see what they say back

Having said that, I'd go with it as it's OFSTED's problem - have you got in writing? I imagine OFSTED would approve it now anyway if you asked for a variation.

AskABusyPerson Tue 24-Jul-07 08:17:37

Thanks LT, I had thought of asking Ofsted but couldn't face it! I don't need a variation as have no other children booked in or likely to be.

Oooo, so Ofsted were wrong to send me my new 'allowed 3 under 5' cert in mid-August last year when my letter to them specifically said my own daughter would not be starting f/t school until nearly October.... I did think it was not right but at the time it suited me as needed the 'place' my daughter was taking up from the beginning of term!

looneytune Tue 24-Jul-07 17:42:55

Bloody Ofsted, I emailed them back to ask if the 3 other people were wrong and this is what I got today:

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that the information on the email sent by my colleague is correct and that a child has to be physically attending 10 sessions a week before they can be classed as a rising 5.

I apologise if you have previously been misinformed. If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

OFSTED

gooseegg Tue 24-Jul-07 17:50:05

My ds was 4 and attending nursery full time for the term before he started school this January.
The Ofsted inspector who came to do my inspection in October agreed that as he was now attending 10 sessions at nursery he could be classed as a 5yr old for my childminding ratios. He didn't start school until January and he wasn't 5 until April.

looneytune Tue 24-Jul-07 18:36:10

Yeah, but i think it's ok for you as your ds was doing 10 sessions of some kind and also over 4. If a child was 4 and doing just 5 sessions a day and doesn't start the 10 sessions until Sept, that's different

Shoshable Tue 24-Jul-07 18:44:52

I had one 4 year old that was 10 sessions at nursery until end of term so was counted as 5, from september will be going to school, mornings only till december so will go back to being 4!!!! I got a variation.

fedupwithallthispaperwork Tue 24-Jul-07 18:47:45

well, im going with what i was told. i know people who have been told your own children (if under 5) dont come into your numbers. they are useless. anyway, at a recent level 3 cp course we were told OFSTED only offer guidelines, and nothing is set in stone............that covers everyones back at their end then.

if you network, you are told another load of totally diferent stuff................who would wnat to do this job!

looneytune Tue 24-Jul-07 19:37:00

Truly crap isn't it!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now