Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would post on an Aupairs Blog???

(14 Posts)
mishmash Thu 19-Jul-07 00:27:12

Just wondering what you would think. Our lovely aupair leaves next week. I have always treated her with respect and never expected anymore than looking after the children and doing the smallest amount of housework. I have a cleaner. She has never worked more than 25 hours per week and if she did she was always compensated either by payment or time off. I am a bit offended to see on her blog this evening that even though she has another week to work here she is complaining that I am always late = but as above - if I am late she gets compensated. And she says that she has housework to do next though the kids are away in the mornings. Housework consists of unfilling dishwasher, a bit of ironing and tidying the kids rooms and giving them some lunch. In fact she only has 2 hours work each day next week = 10!!

She knows she has had a good number here with us compared to her friens who is looking after 2/3 young children 45 hours a week including all the housework. She has had more than her fair share of time off.

Now before anyone goes slating me for looking at her blog = it is hardly private if she leaves it open on my PC.

So come on fess up what would you do a nice post on it and say "well actually ..........."

I am tempted

mishmash Thu 19-Jul-07 00:29:27

Sorry should have pre-viewed before I posted but you get the jist

SueW Thu 19-Jul-07 00:33:52

Comment on her blog:

Did you mean to leave this window open on the PC?

mishmash Thu 19-Jul-07 00:43:40

No Sue

mishmash Thu 19-Jul-07 00:44:20

But yes I am tempted to leave a comment on her blog!

JennaJ Thu 19-Jul-07 17:28:21

I personally would have to leave a very polite comment...along the lines of

'I couldn't help but see this as you left it open on the computer. Maybe if you are unhappy with your tasks you should speak to me rather than post it on the net'

BUT as a 'grown' up the proper thing would be to take it on the chin and ignore it! After all don't we all moan/ exaggerate at how hard done by at work we are lol

Jen xx

mishmash Fri 20-Jul-07 01:08:49

Thanks Jenna
When I thought about it again this morning I thought that she is probably just telling an Aupair story despite all she has been given.

I'm not going to bother posting anything. She knows she has a cushy number compared to her aupair friends and I am happy with the way we have treated her and not exploited her.

Bless her she has sent our new AP who arrives on Wednes an e=mail and told her we were a really good family to live with. She was crying tonight because she is going to miss myself and the children so much. She and DH didn't have much of a relationship = thank God

Last night just hit a slight raw nerve because I know she is exaggerating and not telling whole truths.

Oh to be a teenager again!!! Suppose it (blog) all looks more interesting if there is a bit of a story.

Buffybye Fri 20-Jul-07 20:25:30

I am afraid familiarity breeds contempt. Au pairs are just kids and kids never appreciate anything their 'parents' do for them. One of our old au pairs left a beautiful gift and thankyou note for us to pass onto a teacher from her language school. Despite treating her as one of the family, taking her out for dinners, lunches, day trips, fully expensed holiday, taxing and insuring a little car just for her use (so she could get to the language school), letting her off weekend babysitting so that she could spend the weekend with her boyfriend, she left without even so much as a thankyou! She had even commented on the fact that some of her au pair friends were with pretty vile families who treated them like slaves and didnt feed them the same food as the rest of the family, so she knew she was on a good thing. I bought her a lovely leaving gift and dropped her off at the airport and she got out of the car, mummbled something about dropping her off and went! Perhaps you dont appreciate the lengths families go to to make you happy, until you have your own au pair!

cloudberry Sat 21-Jul-07 15:58:43

We had an au pair towards the end of last year who lasted 8 weeks with us. When our new au pair started in the the New Year she came across the other one at language school spinning a pack of lies about us. I was absolutely furious but the new ap was very happy with us and told me she just laughed at it all and told everyone it was a load of b***ks. When I first heard I was all for confronting the old ap and asking her why on earth she was doing this (I knew where she was with her new family). She was saying things like we made her work from 8.00 in the morning till 10.00 at night every day, she had to do all the cooking etc etc. Like you Mishmash, I knew we'd been good to her and she didn't have a heavy load so why she was doing it , but I guess it was to cover a loss of face as we asked her to leave. Who knows, and as I quickly concluded, who cares really. Interesting to hear that other people have similar experiences though. I suppose all the more reason to shrug it off (if I say that enough times I might take it on board!!)

NannyL Sat 21-Jul-07 16:12:35

from the other side....

i regualrly look at my exbosses blog! (they told me the adress etc, its easy for me to see their photos etc, the know and dont mind, and even if they didnt know they are posting on the WWW for all to see.

Anyway i got on really well with them etc (still do) and they dont say anything about me cause its not really relevant anymore.... but if they did i would never comment on anything in their blog!

(they have made some comments about nannies bla bla bla but still i dont, havnt and wouldnt comment!)

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 21-Jul-07 22:45:37

Hello Mishmash I pussed

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 21-Jul-07 22:45:50

Pissed even...

mishmash Sun 22-Jul-07 01:06:53

Missus - Can't pronounce your name - where the hell are you and how are you too??????

Miss our MSN chats = are you on same e-mail address??

mishmash Sun 22-Jul-07 01:10:55

TBH I'm not that bothered now - just taking it as a teenager thing.

But after talking to her friends yesterday she certainly has the easisest time compared to the hours they work and what is expected of them

I can see why our new AP's mum is worried about her as she has heard all the nasty AP stories and by all accounts our current girls friends have a lot to deal with and I am wondering how they stick it.

Shame on parents who exploit AP's!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now