Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM CLUB - Having 2 sisters overnight tonight (au pair away) - how much to charge, please give me your thoughts................

(8 Posts)
looneytune Wed 18-Jul-07 12:13:37

Hi everyone

Some of you will know that I recently got my certificate to allow me to do overnight care and I have my double pay baby booked for tomorrow night. After mum insisted, rate was set at £70 a night and I should be having baby about once a month.

Well, last night the 2 sisters I have were collected and mum informed me that the au pair should have been back from her break last night but missed her flight meaning she couldn't have the girls tonight (as only 1 flight a day). I mentioned that I now do overnight care so if they get stuck, let me know. Mum phoned last night saying she wanted me to have them, I made it clear my charges were high to make it worth my while but that it wouldn't cost her anything as I owe her for 2 bank holiday refunds due (she'd asked me to hold onto it).

So, she hasn't been given a fee, didn't ask for one.

I owe her a total of £135.52 and dh said lets just say I don't owe her anymore and she doesn't owe me. I would never charge £70 per child and was thinking of maybe calling it £100-£120 for them both (as I knew it was not costing them really). But, do you think it's fair enough for me to say that we'll just wipe the slate clean?

thoughts please

looneytune Wed 18-Jul-07 13:24:07

bump

mumlove Wed 18-Jul-07 13:30:37

I think you deserve it after all the messing around they do, plus you might need to go and buy things for them if the mum forgets bits eg. like the milk.

looneytune Wed 18-Jul-07 13:55:27

Thanks, that's sort of what I thought i.e. don't feel bad, just do it as we all know they wouldn't think twice!

At the end of the day, the only reason I refunded the 2 bank hols is because I felt bad that they changed their Thursday to a Monday FOR ME as it wasn't working with the days I originally had them. So I felt bad that I charge for bank hols and charge double if needed as they didn't have that when it was Tues-Thurs. They run their own business in London and weren't working anyway so it cost them nothing so I should just make that my charges for tonight shouldn't I!!! Especially as baby teething bad so could be up in the night?

Thanks

looneytune Wed 18-Jul-07 14:16:54

In case anyone comes back to this thread............if they ever wanted me overnight again (au pair hoping to be leaving very soon), what do you think I should charge for the night for 2 sisters? I don't think it's fair to charge £70 each per night as they are still only taking up one bedroom.

TIA

PinkChick Wed 18-Jul-07 14:22:40

never mind only one bedroom its two children to get bathed, dressed for bed, get to sleep, sleep with one ear open all night then get up and get them up in monr, dressed fed and normal day..although youve slept, you havent had a break as such, so id charge £70 for first, then whatever your normal reduction for sibling, so if you normal do 10% off for second child do that then you wont lose track.hth

mumlove Wed 18-Jul-07 14:42:19

I would go back to your figure of £120 for the both of them worked out £70 first child and £50 second child.
Even though you care for them during the day they may well not settle or sleep that well for you.

looneytune Wed 18-Jul-07 15:28:26

Cool I'll see how it goes tonight before I decide for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now