Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

********** Wednesday Staff Room **********

(38 Posts)
nannynick Wed 18-Jul-07 07:53:35

No one opened the Staff Room yet, so thought I would

LoveMyGirls Wed 18-Jul-07 08:03:14

Morning Nick,

Feeling tired today because i was up cleaning when i should have been in bed! Supposed to be having that lady come today and things needed doing anyway, didn't help that we made play dough yesterday and there was flour everywhere lol

I really really hope she comes just because I don't want to feel let down again! Not sure if we should do contracts as it will be a few weeks until she starts and she is unsure of the hours she needs so might be best to wait otherwise I could have a call off someone else in the meantime that I turn away and she could let me down anyway otoh if we don't do paperwork we will have to meet again and as it has been so hard getting her to come here this far the chances of her coming again when we are both on hols over the next few weeks is going to be tricky. I think i'll see how i feel when she is here and how sure she is of things? Wish I hadn't been let down so much it's horrible because i actually expect it now Sorry for moaning again!!

nannynick Wed 18-Jul-07 08:17:31

Oh the joys of playdough. I've decided to have a a baking day, so have the marg in the freezer getting v.cold so that I can make flaky pastry for Eccles cakes.

Best to see how you both feel at the time... if she wants the place, surely better for her to do a contract and even perhaps pay a retainer fee to secure the place.

KaySamuels Wed 18-Jul-07 08:18:45

DP has just rang me in a right mood. Him and best friend where both up for same job (work together and being made redundant), and dp's manager has just told him his bf found out he had the job yesterday! DP is upset he has found out from his manager.

He was in a mood anyway as is having the snip this aft and is feeling very apprehensive about it!

I really feel for him, he is gutted his friend hasn't called and told him! DP and him had agreed the other day that they would be happy for whoever got it, as it would be one less of them looking for a job in a limited industry.

hennipenni Wed 18-Jul-07 08:23:08

Morning all, back to my original name, busy day with all three children, toddlers this morning then sleep/playdoh/sticking this afternoon.

Last weeks lady hasn't got back to me so I think I'll give that one up, there's so many of us around my area with vacancies that I don't stand a chance really.

KaySamuels Wed 18-Jul-07 08:50:36

Oh god this day cannot get worse. My friend who I cm for, including on a Saturday for her, has asked me for some of my fees back!

Usually hae her ds tues aft, she text me tues morning, saying don't need you to pick up today, am working tomorrow instead,are you ok to get him in morning. I text m=back to check and said so no pick up today, tomoorow instead, she said yes. I then realised later on in the morning dp had his appointment so I text her back apologising, saying I couldn't do it because of this, and that I had no other kids booked in today because of it. She didn't text me back.

Has now text me this morning saying her exdp and ex-mil cannot have her ds so friend is having him, and can I refund her some of her standing order as her friend is hinting. And am I ok for usual pick up tomoorow?!

Dont know what to say to her have just burst into tears.

KaySamuels Wed 18-Jul-07 08:52:02

Sorry I seem to have taken over staffroom with my problems today

MaureenMcGonagall Wed 18-Jul-07 09:11:48

Rant away! That's what the staff rooms for!
May I join in? We had yr 6 sats results yesterday and I am of the view that you don't discuss it with other parents and actually as long as my dd has learnt to read and write and is of a happy disposition - I couldn't give a damn what sats say abouther. My friend knows this and would not dare ask me about them. Her dd is my dd's best friend, so there's bound to be competitiveness between them, but this morning, when I was taking mindee into the infant playground, this friend asked my dd how she got on! DD told me this, when I came back to see her in. Bless her, she told her 'fine thankyou, but actually I'm not that bothered!' The nerve of the woman! Quite actually, but frankly not suprised by this woman.

MaureenMcGonagall Wed 18-Jul-07 09:14:29

Actually, I'm about something else too, but I'm going to start a thread for all to join, as I'm pretty sure everyone in the staff room will feel the same as me! Look out for it - 'Why do other school mums make me feel like a goody two shoes'

saltireslytherin Wed 18-Jul-07 09:17:22

Hello. I have a question.
Do you remeber how I said I had been on my pre-registration course last week, and I would now need to wait until October before the next one (enrolment support it says it's called). Well someone mentioned that I could get the forms from OFSTED and fill them in myself before I do this course, to get the ball rolling so to sepak. How do i go about getting these forms? Also a bit confused as the NCMA woman who was doing the course I attended last week said I couldn't go ahead and do it myself (filling in the forms) as OFSTED would send them back if theyw ere wrong, and if I did it myself I would get no help training or grants.
I'm properly confuse dnow. i didn't hav ethis carry on 4 years ago when I first registered oin Scotland.

I can't afford to wait until october or November time to do my next part of the course, as it will be after Christmas before I get registered. That's 6 months, a ridiculous amount of time

dmo Wed 18-Jul-07 09:41:03

kay - i would not give money back as the child was booked in for tues and then tues morning mum phones to say no
imo thats not enough notice

saltieslytherin you can get ofsted round to check your house and ofsted you b4 you do any workshops they will just put this in your targets and once your workshops are complete you just send in a copy of the cert
alot of cm start work as a cm b4 completing the work shops and first aid

looneytune Wed 18-Jul-07 09:41:50

Saltire - just phone OFSTED and ask, forget the council! Anyway, Ofsted are the ones who usually make the mistakes on filling forms so it's probably best you do it yourself anyway! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be able to get the ball rolling!

I'll be back later for advice, got my first overnight stay tonight, was supposed to be my double pay baby tomorrow night who was first but the 2 sisters au pair missed her flight home yesterday so can't have the girls overnight so I told them I do overnight care now but charge lots!! I have money aside for them anyway as refunds for bank hols so this way, I won't need to pay back. Going to be tiring though, straight into overnighters with 3 kids in 2 days!!

KaySamuels Wed 18-Jul-07 09:50:51

I have drafte a note post through mindee's mums door today, and would like your opinions on whether I should or not. I am really upset about it and know I won't be able to sort it out face to face.

"I will refund you the £13.75, even though I was available to work the 5.5hours on our contracted day (Tuesday) as a goodwill gesture. However, in future I will not do this, as it is agreed in our contracts that if I am available to work on our contracted days (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays) there is still a full fee charge.

I always try to accommodate changes in hours, and this is the first time in over two years that I have ever had to say no to someone, and with a valid reason at that. My only fault here is saying yes too readily to you as I try to please everybody, only to realise I was unable to help – I am sorry if this caused you any problems, and am sorry X and his mum were unable to help you in this instance.

If Sam is hinting towards being paid for her ‘childcare service’ today, it may be worth pointing out to her that it is illegal to look after a child in your own home for more than two hours for ‘reward’ if you are not registered with Ofsted. This is why childminders have to register with Ofsted, be police checked, pay for public liability insurance, and undergo hours of unpaid training (such as paediatric first aid) and workshops (such as positive behaviour management).

Although I am paid your childcare fees on the Friday, I have enclosed your refund now in advance as I would rather say nothing more about this incident; I have lots on my mind at the moment and would therefore rather forget all about it. I will detail your refund on your receipt on Saturday, and will see you tomorrow as usual.

Kay"

What do you think??????

I'm sorry I have taken over today's thread but could do with some perspective on this please.

dmo Wed 18-Jul-07 09:54:48

maybe a bit strong i would just put the first two lines in just explaning that this is the only time you will be doing this in the future
still dont think you should give a refund as its not your fault but as a goodwill i would say its fine for the once

KaySamuels Wed 18-Jul-07 10:03:27

I don't think I should give it back either - however I am so stressed out at the moment I just don't need this! I am more upset I think because she is a 'friend' and is usually fantastic as a mindee's parent. I am shocked and disappointed I guess. For the amount it is too I can't see where she is coming from!

looneytune Wed 18-Jul-07 10:31:11

Sorry KS, wish I could give advise but I'm rubbish at all that stuff. Agree you shouldn't pay it back but I probably wouldn't send a note quite so long and strong? But then again, I'm a whimp!

Right, the sisters still haven't turned up and they should have been here at 9.30 (usually 8.15 but mum told me last night was dropping later). I reckon she's trying to organise everything I'll need for having them tonight? But how long do I leave it before I call? As far as she's concerned, I pick ds up at 11.10am - I've actually got him in lunch club (freebie as they felt bad for what happened at school last week) so I don't need to leave until 12.30. Oh well, for now I think I'll make another cuppa!

dmo Wed 18-Jul-07 10:42:55

whats your new letter then Kay?

MaureenMcGonagall Wed 18-Jul-07 11:00:32

I think we all need cheering up today! Here we are. Maybe we should jolly ourselves up with an end of term party. Friday afternoon, in here, bing a bottle! I will of course, be an emotional wreck by then, but hey ho!

dmo Wed 18-Jul-07 11:04:39

well my school finishes tomorrow at 2pm
lots of parents asking if i could have their child on friday but i said i was full truth is i have nobody so intend to stay in bed till lunch time

looneytune Wed 18-Jul-07 11:14:16

Thanks for the cake - yum Girls finally turned up at 10.30am and guess what, mum forgot the bottles again. So I have 2 here of my own and they need to get me through til tomorrow 8.30! Never mind.

mumlove Wed 18-Jul-07 11:44:29

Morning everyone, just had a baby and her mum here for a chat and visit wanting 2 days a week from sept so fingers crossed. It would be lovely to have a younger child in the house again.

Kay - on your letter I would leave out the bit about paying the other lady. we are all here to listen to each others problems etc. so carry on.

MML - Thankyou for doing a party on Friday just for my birthday OPPS you want and end of term party. Never mind I have brought a cake ready for everyone to rub into the carpet as normal.

LoveMyGirls Wed 18-Jul-07 12:30:27

Fingers crossed for you ML.

Can we please take bets on wether the lady due to come today will turn up? She has phoned to say she has a meeting today 30mins before we are due to meet to find out her hours.

looneytune Wed 18-Jul-07 12:32:01

Good luck LMG's, let us know what happens.

Just off to school but if anyone fancies helping me out, please look at my thread about overnight care tonight

mumlove Wed 18-Jul-07 13:37:05

LMG - good luck with the lady comming, hopefully she won't be too late arriving.

LoveMyGirls Wed 18-Jul-07 13:50:22

She's txt the meeting is to talk about redundancy package she doesnt want it but doesnt know what they will do, she'll let me know. God i feel so BLOODY STUPID! Why do i keep arranging to meet her? Cus i'm broke and no-one else is asking, oh I feel so gutted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now