Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Realistically, if I moved to a bigger house, how much would a live in au pair or nanny cost me?

(10 Posts)
BridgetTheWoollyMammoth Tue 17-Jul-07 10:08:22

I have no idea, can anyone give me a crash course. Expectations. pros & cons??

TIA x

jura Tue 17-Jul-07 10:19:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BridgetTheWoollyMammoth Tue 17-Jul-07 11:22:58

erm, erm, erm... I don't know.

My dd is at school now so it would be up and ready in the morning (she's fairly self sufficient) then evening care and babysitting.

Idealling I need some help around the house - cleaning ironing. That sort of stuff.

I'm not based in London but thinking of looking for a new job which may well be in city so might possibly need to be thinking London pay.

It's just me and dd, at moment in 2 bed house but new job = new salary = more commitment = nanny/au pair requirement

eleusis Tue 17-Jul-07 11:26:34

I would look for an au pair who had some childcare experience and so might be able to move into the nanny role if need be. I would not be looking for a full time nanny for one child in full time school.

But, if you only have two bedrooms, where is the au pair / nanny going to sleep? Or are you planning to upgrade to 3 bedrooms with the new salary?

jura Tue 17-Jul-07 11:45:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eleusis Tue 17-Jul-07 11:54:42

Oh, bugger off, Jura. [sticky outy tongue emoticon]

eleusis Tue 17-Jul-07 11:55:19

And on that note, are we arranging a playdate for your DS and my DD and DS or what?!?!?!

eleusis Tue 17-Jul-07 11:57:49

By the way, we moved to a bigger house when were planning DS (child number 2) specifically to accommodate a nanny. We worked out that even with the increase in rent the live in nanny was cheaper than 2 at a childminder.

syrup Wed 18-Jul-07 08:04:20

Ok the costs for my AP have been as follows;
£65 per week pocket money
the food bills don't seem to have increased much probably extra £15 per week. Before she arrived I bought a refurbished PC and webcam so she uses skype/msn to talk to her family so no phone bills.
I pay her pocket money when she goes home on holiday (6weeks)(Christmas/summer) this may not affect you but my AP is with us for 2 years. I think this is more holiday than most have but she takes it when I am around and it suits us both. I will pay for her flight home when the time comes.
I admit I am very lucky as my AP is wonderful and that is about the total cost.

squiffy Wed 18-Jul-07 16:14:54

I paid £80 for the au-pairing bit. Petrol £20 a week (most of it used ferrying kids), car insurance v expensive so found it cheaper to get a very basic runaround instead of putting them on our insurance (makes a big difference if under 21) - you should get a quote using money supermarket or something. I'd say around £400 a year for this. Food bill went up maybe £20 because of stuff like crisps and coke and such like that they seem to hoover up between meals
£150 to repair the prang when she accidentally drove the car through our hedge (don't ask), and maybe £20 a month in ruining clothes by ironing at too high a temp...
Plus the odd christmas/birthday stuff. And a cheapo holiday once which she half-paid me back in 'extra' babysitting.
And that was about it. Would highly recommend to anyone who has the room though be careful who you get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now