Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Please can I have some advice on payment?

(6 Posts)
PanicPants Sun 15-Jul-07 16:47:44

My poor childminders Dad has died suddenly, and so understandably she is not able to have ds. This was on Thursday, so I needed to find alternative childcare for thurs/friday, and now for the coming week.

But what do we do about payment? I've already paid her for all of last week (including the 2 days that she didn't have ds) and I'm happy to leave that as it is.

But what about this week? Whats the protocal? I will need to pay for alternative cover which I can't afford to do on top of paying my cm. It's such a delicate situation and I don't want to be crass and directly ask her at this difficult time.

Any advice greatfully received. TIA

winestein Sun 15-Jul-07 16:56:38

I have just had a look at my contract with my own childminder. It is a pre-printed NMCA one on the back of our agreement.
Section 23 says "Unforseen circumstances - when the childminding service is not available (for example a family bereavement). No fee or any other payment is due in these circumstances because the parent will need to organise alternative childcare at short notice"

HTH

PanicPants Sun 15-Jul-07 17:02:48

Thank you. Didn't think to look there! (completely stupid emoticon)

Thanks

winestein Sun 15-Jul-07 17:14:07

No probs!

dmo Mon 16-Jul-07 13:26:16

i'm a cm and i would when i got back to work organise with you to be 2 days in credit as you had paid for thurs/fri
you wont be expected to pay but i wouldnt expect her to explan to you about payment details at this sad time

ayla99 Mon 16-Jul-07 14:26:16

When I closed for my Dad's funeral I deducted the fees for that day from the following bills.

Although its more usual to give a refund for this sort of situation, I believe some childminders have between 1 and 3 days a year "compassionate leave" mentioned in their contracts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now