Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What would the situation be if my friend wanted to pay me to look after her child?

(8 Posts)
TooTicky Fri 13-Jul-07 14:09:22

Doesn't it get quite complicated?

S88AHG Fri 13-Jul-07 14:10:48

If you go to her house no problem cos thst like a nanny if its at your house, big problem cos you need to be registered.

TooTicky Fri 13-Jul-07 14:20:59

Thanks. What about being out and about? Or visiting my house? Seems darned silly.

Hassled Fri 13-Jul-07 14:23:44

From the NCMA website:

Anyone who looks after other people's children in their own home for more than two hours at a time for payment or reward must, by law, be registered as a childminder. And anyone who looks after children from three or more families on any domestic premises for payment or reward must, by law, be registered as a childminder.


eleusis Fri 13-Jul-07 14:25:47

You can be her nenny and she can pay you that way. She would have to pay you at least minumum wage since I assume you would be live-out.

frogs Fri 13-Jul-07 14:31:25

TooTicky, I had this situation for a while, but the other way round. Dd2 was looked after by the mother of one of my older dc's friends, in their home. Strictly speaking it's not allowed, as she's not a registered childminder, but if you know and trust the person, can't really see the problem, myself. She'd had both my older dc to stay the night (as friends) and we'd taken her children on family holidays with us, so why would I not trust her to look after my youngest? Surely preferable to choosing a random CM off the council's registered list (and it always seems to be the least confidence-inspiring ones who have vacancies IME.

It worked fine, and there was no awkwardness about money which was what I'd been afraid of. But I was paying at the generous end of the scale, and made a point of always paying her on time.

TooTicky Fri 13-Jul-07 14:38:09

Thank you everybody.

The issue isn't quite imminent as the child hasn't been born yet (friend is 40+3) but I was rather touched that her and her partner had thought of me. I knew there were rules and regs though. Well, got a few months to sort it out.

Shoshable Fri 13-Jul-07 14:53:08

Tooticky Don't do it unless registered, it is illegal, and although I know a lot of people do do it and are fine with it, your friend could be in trouble with t he tax people for not declaring income, which she couldn't do if not registered. She will also not have any training including child protection, or first aid, and although you know her well, if anything happened she would have no insurance.

Childminders are trained and registered for a purpose, to put the welfare and safety of the child first.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: