Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

wot do childminders usually charge?

(15 Posts)
stormy06 Thu 12-Jul-07 13:57:12

hiya im thinkin of either goin to college or work or do something now my eldest is at school and my youngest is 2 bt im nt sure whats the best option we use a nursey at the moment and it is £13.50 per session a session bein a mornin or aft and i wondered if a childminder woul be a cheaper option help ive looked everywhere on net 4 some info but i cant find any

LoveMyGirls Thu 12-Jul-07 13:59:13

try googling childcare link and do a search for your area. Cost depends on where you are in the country, im in the midlands and in my area its roughly about £2.75 to £3.00 an hour, most charge by the day, some by the hour hth.

mslucy Thu 12-Jul-07 13:59:28

In London childminders all charge at least £5 an hour - can be cheaper in other places.

your local authority will have a list of registered childminders which should show how much they charge.

£13.50 for a morning/afternoon sounds quite good to me!

stormy06 Thu 12-Jul-07 14:01:33

thanks i was talking to a friend this mornin and she is using a childminder and she thought hers was quite good at 30 a day till i told her my nursery is 27 for the day!!

mslucy Thu 12-Jul-07 14:03:17

your nursery is a good price!

stormy06 Thu 12-Jul-07 14:05:02

i cant believe they charge £5 in london it wouldnt be worth me working if they charge that in lancashire!!

RnBee Thu 12-Jul-07 14:05:17

why do people use text-speak here. Its horrible to read [hmmm]

Jojay Thu 12-Jul-07 14:05:52

I pay £3.50 an hour in Warks

stormy06 Thu 12-Jul-07 14:06:28

sorry thats me i am so used to texting i must try harder to spell words out!!

Ellbell Thu 12-Jul-07 14:08:51

My cm (in W. Yorks, so might be similar to Lancs) charges £3 per hour, or £4 per hour for after school.

mslucy Thu 12-Jul-07 14:09:19

Where I live a childminder costs at least £5 an hour.

Private nursery is about £75 a day

Council nursery - £37 a day if you have over £30,000 household income; about £27 a day if you are under £30,000.

God knows how much a nanny costs - I dread to think.

childcare is hideously expensive - I can only afford to pay it because I had my child when I was old and therefore could earn relatively good money.

If I'd had ds ten years ago, I would no way have been able to justify going back to work.

stormy06 Thu 12-Jul-07 14:09:19

I have afeeling its probably cheaper to use the nursery plus she already goes there on a thursday afternoon and loves it and she was quite hard to settle so i dont think moving her would be one of my better moves!!

stormy06 Thu 12-Jul-07 14:12:49

im 26 but my concern is i have never done anything with my life apart from have 2 really ace kids thats why i dont know whether to go to college or just a part time job in a shop but i know i would only be working to pay for chilcare o how i wish i had some ambition before i had kids and i might have been able to walk back into a decent paid job and not have this stress!!

LoveMyGirls Thu 12-Jul-07 14:29:45

I'm 25, had my first dd at 17 so i kind of know what you mean about not knowing what i wanted to do before having my children but i had dd2 at 23 and decided i wanted to become a childminder so i started my own business at 24. You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it and yes you may end up working just pay childcare at the start but in the end if a career is what you want and it makes you happy then your children will be happy too iyswim?

I doubt even those who built up their career before having children "walk back into" a decent job, being a mum and working is hard.

My advice is don't work for the sake of working if you have the choice do something you really want to do and work towards a goal.

Whats that great advice i heard somewhere, something about "find something you enjoy doing then make it your living" or something like that.

stormy06 Thu 12-Jul-07 14:46:58

Thanks 4 that i just think im a bit frightened of getting out there in the big bad world of adults really i think i been hiding behind my girls and using them as excuses not to go out and do something that i want to do!!! so my mission over the next few days is to give myself a good kick up the backside and make some decisions based on what i want to do !! i feel a bit empowered now thanks agin u have inspired me to stop whingeing about what i could have done with my life and to just bloomin well get on with it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now