Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New to Nannying- Question about poorly children.

(12 Posts)
giddy1 Mon 09-Jul-07 21:21:04

Message deleted

giddy1 Mon 09-Jul-07 21:29:20

Message deleted

yogimum Mon 09-Jul-07 21:31:58

I think its unfair of the mother to expect you to look after an ill child especially if there are other children to be cared for. She should take her child to see the doctor IMO whilst you care for the others.

giddy1 Mon 09-Jul-07 21:47:35

Message deleted

soapbox Mon 09-Jul-07 21:55:21

It is quite usual for a nanny to take a child to the GP IME. They have never ever questioned it with my DCs. If it is immunisations though they do usually require a parental approval letter for the nanny to take with her.

The nanny's position is no different vis a vis a SAHP. If a child needs to go to the GPs then the other children get to go too!

weathershore Mon 09-Jul-07 21:58:54

I work as a full time nanny and have always taken the child /children to see various Doctors often its me that mkaes the appoiment with parents verbal aggrement. I always explain to the Doctor who i am as soon as a walk through the door. I keep a nanny diary so every that is spoken about is recorded. I always check its ok with mum first when new medicine is given and record time that it was given.

giddy1 Mon 09-Jul-07 22:04:35

Message deleted

NurseyJo Mon 09-Jul-07 22:07:34

Message withdrawn

nannynick Mon 09-Jul-07 22:47:15

GP's I find don't seem to mind. Always have parents phone number with you though, should the GP wish to speak to one of the child's parents.

Jo... in your experience do Hospitals accept an emergency treatment letter? Reason I ask, is that as a child I had a serious accident at school... and school had authorisation to seek emergency medical treatment. The hospital refused, until my mother actually got there - they would not accept even verbal over the phone. This was back in the mid-late 80's, so things may well have changed a lot.

Anyone had any recent experience of taking minded children to hospital?

I've taken a child I nanny to see the GP, as an urgent appointment as he had a rash and fever which I could not work out what it was, what caused it etc. GP incidentally didn't know either... after doing some examination felt it was not life threatening, and just let us get Calpol on subscription! Rash cleared up within a few hours following the GP appointment. Still none the wiser as to what it was, or what caused it - but it was a little odd, could actually watch it move around the body! GP was quite happy to see me, as the child's nanny.

annetteljones Mon 09-Jul-07 22:55:56

I know that one of my nannies has taken children to hospital and not been questioned about it but I suppose it depends on what emergency care needs to be administered. If the care requires consent then am assuming that a nanny isn't acceptable as being able to give consent without a formal notice to that effect. I know that my parents - as teachers - had to take kids to the hospital sometimes.

My GPs do not mind the nannies taking my daughter when she is ill.

eleusis Tue 10-Jul-07 08:51:06

Hi Giddy,

Sounds like the job is going well.

I definately think this is a usual nanny duty. I, personally, prefer to take my kids to the doctor myself. I will leave them with the nanny and expect her to look after them if it is a mild routine illness (say a cold or a stomach bug or the chicken pox). But, if they need to go to the doctor, then I do it. Generally, nanny will accompany me to the doctor, then I'm off to work after the doctor appointment and she takes the kids home from the doctor surgery. However, there are certainly nanny employers who wish for the nanny to do this, and there are certainly nannies who are happy to take this on as part of their job. I take my kids to the doctor because I want to, not because I think it would be unreasonable to delegate it to the nanny. Interestingly, I once had a nanny (you may remember a few stories about her from the Due in June thread two and a bit years ago) who was clearly offended when I said I would take DD to the GP. She wanted to do it and was very obviously insulted when I said "thanks, but no I'll do it".

NannyL Tue 10-Jul-07 08:59:22

I have taken my charges to the Dr etc.

GPs etc have been fine with it.... ive never had anything signed either

i then sign the prescription as the patients representative no prob at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now