Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

London Childminders can you give me some advice and help me?

(3 Posts)
cazmum Fri 06-Jul-07 14:38:17

I'm looking into doing the Childminding course and getting my home Ofsted approved. I've had a couple of mums approach me and ask what my fees and hours will be. I've no idea what to tell them.
How much should I expect to earn net per hour?
Who does the Tax and N.I. contributions?
What happens about food and costs?
Any advice you could give me I'd be so grateful. I've been in Childcare for years and years and am very hands on, not your sit around and watch T.V. type.
I'm looking into taking on a playmate for my own child who is at present 6 months.

alison222 Fri 06-Jul-07 15:03:53

Have a look at your local Children's iformation site to get an idea of what is charged locally. Even in and around London charges vary hugely.

You set your own hours - so what do you want to work?
Personally I am available for work 8-6 Mon - Fri I know others who start at 7 or 7.30.
Some people charge for sessions - ie "after school 3-6 " costs £xx others by the hour.
The best thing is to find out what the going rate is locally.

You are responsible for paying your tax and NI. You must register as self employed within 2(?) mths of starting work. Tax is based on Profit - so income less costs.

Again food and other costs vary from childminder to childminder so you set your own charges/rules but good to find out what others do so you know.

mogs0 Fri 06-Jul-07 16:33:25

I'm in West London. There's not many CM's in my area, mainly nannies so I'm not sure how my rates compare to other CMs.

I charge £45pd for up to 10 hours or £5 ph. I start at 8am and finish at 6pm. I only generally work Monday to Thurs but do the occasional Friday on an ad-hoc basis.

Tax and NI is your responsibility as you'll be self employed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now