Talk

Advanced search

Nanny chipped kitchen surface

(74 Posts)
Newmummy2010 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:46:36

Our Nanny caused a large chip to a new kitchen counter. Unfortunately home insurance does not cover (and we don’t have Nanny insurance). Are we within our rights to deduct this from salary? She does not think she should contribute. Repair company have quoted over £200 and mark will still be visible...

OP’s posts: |
Youmadorwhat Mon 25-Feb-19 22:48:45

How did it happen?

Luckyduck88 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:49:13

No as it's not in a contract to state you can withhold salary due to house damage

Zebedee88 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:49:19

How did she do it? Did she do something that she was told not to? I can't imagine it would have been an easy thing to do. I'm a nanny and if I've broken something then I have usually offered to repair or replace/ pay for it.

Springiscomingsoon Mon 25-Feb-19 22:49:19

Is she apologetic?
Isn't a nanny supposed to be part of the family?
I would not want to upset someone who is being left alone to look after my most precious little people confused

PennyMordauntsLadyBrain Mon 25-Feb-19 22:49:26

How did it happen?

I’d thibj you were having a laugh to deduct it from her wages, unless it was absolutely deliberate. What work place have you worked in as a professional where you would be penalised for damaging a fixture or fitting that couldn’t withstand daily use?

Cheetahssitonfajitas Mon 25-Feb-19 22:50:56

No! Assuming it was an accident amd she didn't purposefully do it in a rage. Astonished it would cross your mind!

CherryPavlova Mon 25-Feb-19 22:51:48

No, of course you can’t. I’m sure it was an accident. Why doesn’t your insurance cover it?

WoodlandOaks Mon 25-Feb-19 22:52:18

You can’t legally deduct from her salary unless you have a term in your contract to that effect.

If you ask her to pay I would expect her to leave shortly after.

She’ll be living in constant worry about if she accidentally breaks something else how much you will charge her.

Accidents happen. Get accidentally damage cover.

Barrenfieldoffucks Mon 25-Feb-19 22:52:28

Wow, do you want to maintain a good working relationship with this woman? Assuming she didn't go at it with a machete of course.

Tavannach Mon 25-Feb-19 22:52:38

But if you'd been on kitchen duty it could've been you.
Did she take an axe to it?
I'd be contacting the kitchen counter company. It's surely designed to withstand reasonable wear and tear.
So no I don't think she should pay, and I think YABU to even consider asking her. You know what a nanny's wages are like. She didn't choose the worktop, you did.

LovingLola Mon 25-Feb-19 22:53:05

Are you actually serious??

NigellaAwesome Mon 25-Feb-19 22:53:12

Why does home insurance not cover it?

How big is the chip? How did she do it?

IM0GEN Mon 25-Feb-19 22:53:22

No of course you can’t deduct it. Unless she was doing something completely negligent, contrary to your training / procedures and it’s in her contract that you can do this.

Otherwise it’s just normal wear and tear.

Why did you get such a fragile kitchen worktop ? Maybe it’s faulty.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 25-Feb-19 22:54:25

Is it made out of chipboard

ApolloandDaphne Mon 25-Feb-19 22:56:00

Surely you chalk it up to accidental damage and pay for the repair yourself?

UnderHerEye Mon 25-Feb-19 22:56:29

Completely unreasonable to deduct from salary!

And unless it was a deliberate, malicious act then you shouldn’t be charging Nanny either, to do so would cause massive bad feeling! Things get broken/chipped in day to day life, and as someone who employs others to work in your home you have to accept that. Could be useful to change your insurance policy/provider for any future mishaps?

TBDO Mon 25-Feb-19 22:56:59

If you want a resentful nanny who is likely to move on very quickly, go ahead and (illegally) deduct from her salary.

Was it a malicious act? In which case you have bigger problems as this person is looking after your DC, who are much more precious than a worktop.

If it was an accident, they happen and you just have to live with it.

PennyMordauntsLadyBrain Mon 25-Feb-19 22:57:09

I hope this isn’t a reverse- at least if OP is the actual employer she’ll see how stupid this is from the responses

IncrediblySadToo Mon 25-Feb-19 22:57:33

Why won’t your insurance cover it?

How did it happen?

bugeyedbarber Mon 25-Feb-19 22:58:44

More details needed. Did she do it on purpose? Has she been told not to do something in a specific way and she did that nonetheless and it caused the damage? Then you have a nanny problem not a who pays problem.

Other than these circumstances it would be extremely mean to try to charge her for it and even then you may want to consider longer term options than charging, risking her leaving you in a lurch not to mention kids being upset (if they like her).

Also I can't see how your home insurance doesn't cover this. Accidental damage is pretty standard with most covers. Unless your excess is set so high 200 quid doesn't cover the cost of repair.

Bigonesmallone3 Mon 25-Feb-19 22:59:50

It was an accident poor woman!

wizzywig Mon 25-Feb-19 23:02:33

Yeah you do have to suck it up if she is good at her job.

talktoo Mon 25-Feb-19 23:02:58

If she did it by accident in the course of working for you then of course she should not have to pay for it. If you broke an office chair or computer by accident, would you expect to pay for it?

MarthasGinYard Mon 25-Feb-19 23:05:56

Well I can't imagine she did it on purpose hmm

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in