Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

new / young childminder - potentially to look after dd

(7 Posts)
yentil Wed 04-Jul-07 13:31:36

my dd is 2 this month and currently minded by an experienced CM but she does not live in my area. next year when dd starts preschool my CM will not be able to do pick ups at her new preschool.

my neice has a friend who has been asistanting a childminder whilst getting her NVQ qualifications. she now has them and wants mindees of her own, although still lives with her mum.

could she childmind my daughter from our own home?

what 'registrations' qualifications are required in order for us to pay her with childcare vouchers.

she is in the dark since never done this on her own, what the main considerations we both should have?

anymore tips appreciated

oh yes she is only 20 years old, is this too young?

Katymac Wed 04-Jul-07 13:32:47

20 not too young - she seems to have experience - do you like her?

She would probably be a nanny tho' so you would have to do tax & NI

Rubybees Wed 04-Jul-07 13:34:26

she sounds like she knows what she want s to do and thats great!

20 isn't young I know 35 yr old who act younger lol

all the best

Chattyhan Wed 04-Jul-07 13:36:29

If she's at your home then i believe it's classed as nannying not childminding and you employ her and pay her NI and tax. You would be responsible for ensuring the home was safe etc and i'm not sure whether you could do vouchers (don't know much about vouchers) Would she be having other people kids at yours too? This isn't my expert subject so appologies if i've got it wrong - just trying to help

yentil Wed 04-Jul-07 14:27:11

she is a nice and i have known her since she was 14ish so know she is of good character.

she would not have other children at mine but i have a friend around the corner who is looking for after school care so i was going to suggest this to her as a way of making extra money / contact/ getting more experience.

how does it work with respect to NI and TAX. what is the going rate for a new 'nanny / childminer'

what hours are reasonable? i would need her from 8.30am drop off dd to preschool then pick her up 21/2 hours later (what would she do in this time, would that be her 'break/lunch time?' then care for her including any afternoon activities until 6.

i must say i find this very nerve racking. my current childminder is mature (in her 50's) very set in her ways, tells me what to do really and has got me through some trying times (first-time mum), this would be a complete role reversal (i suspect i would have to become the parent now )

Chattyhan Thu 05-Jul-07 13:17:12

I think the fact that you've known the girl for a long time should make it easier to trust her. You could give her some jobs over the break around the house and let her have some time for lunch but realistically i think you'd have to pay her for these 2.5 hrs. In my area surrey/hants childminders start at £3.50 per hour and go up to £5 per hour but nannies earn quite a bit more (because they only have your children not other peoples as well) This is normally agreed on a day or week rate (don't forget to include tax and ni contributions) A reasonable rate would probably be from £6 per hour but if you think that sounds too much round it down. You could share this rate with your friend so that for the hours she works for both your friend pays £3 and you pay £3 the jury is still out on whether you should pay more for more children some do some don't.

For tax and national insurance speak to Nannytax (google for contact)they should be able to answer your questions but as an employer you have responsibilities regarding sick pay/maternity/holiday pay etc. and should have a contract to clarify everything. They have a calculator which tells you estimated tax amounts.

Other questions if share with your friend who's paying for food/petrol etc

The nice thing about having a childminder is that you don't have to worry about the financial stuff as they're self employed. I have worked as a nanny so that is where my advice is coming from.

Chattyhan Thu 05-Jul-07 13:23:01

Just another idea - If you'd rather have her as a childminder you could try an informal arrangement where she is self employed but comes to you - maybe your house could be the business premises? Not sure if there are other implications to this. A friend used do it this way but only 2 days a week so they stayed under threshold for tax and nothing had to be declared.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: