Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much would a childminder cost in Kent for a 3yo and 9mo?

(12 Posts)
Eddas Wed 04-Jul-07 11:58:01

I'm currently trying to work out my options for when I need to go back to work. It's not until December but I like to be prepared

My dd will be 3 1/2 years and ds will be 9 months old.

I was working 2 days a week before ds but not sure if that'll be possible when I need to pay for them both. So was wondering how much (approximately) a childminder might cost.

Also, dd could go to preschool for the mornings on those days. So I assume it MAY be possible for the childminder to pick her up? Then I wouldn't have to pay for her until 12?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Allycat Thu 05-Jul-07 12:38:13

Hi there. I depends where you are in Kent. I am in Bromley and charge £4.50/hr/child and a friend of mine is in Bexleyheath and charges £3.50/hr/child. Regarding your dd going to nursery, there are not many childminders that would be happy only being paid from 12pm as you are using up one of their spaces and what if the nursery closes or your dd feels unwell? Would you expect them to be "on call" to pick up? Most I know would expect to be paid for the day. I hope that helps. Allycat

crace Thu 05-Jul-07 12:49:30

I am in the country between Maidstone and Tonbridge and I charge £3.50 but it's between £3-4 around here, usually toward the lower end.

Try http://www.childcarelink.gov.uk and search under your postcode

crace Thu 05-Jul-07 12:51:22

Oh, and it depends if the childminder is "on call" or not - but as Allycat mentioned, if preschool is closed or if your daughter isn't able to go to mild illness you would be in trouble. I am pretty sure most would do all day as it is a space, and already on a p/t basis. Certainly worth asking though!

FioFio Thu 05-Jul-07 12:53:17

Message withdrawn

Eddas Thu 05-Jul-07 13:04:45

Ok thanks everyone. Good point re the taking up a place/paying from 12. Didn't think of it like that, but it makes sense.

I'm in maidstone so £4 would be a good idea of cost. Hmmmm so on just over £10/hr myself i'd have to pay out £8 in childcare, sounds like I may be re-thinking

Thanks again for helping, at least I can now start to think of alternatives

Allycat Thu 05-Jul-07 17:13:15

Don't forget that you can claim back working tax credits and also there is another scheme that if you are using a registered childminder you can earn about £300 a month to spend on childcare and it is not taxed, so the relative cost of childcare is less.

Eddas Thu 05-Jul-07 17:28:18

I don't think I can get working tax credits as mine and dh's income is too high, i think.

My boss did mention something to me about childcare vouchers. Will investigate these 2 things a little more.

This working and having kids lark is so complicated. You'd think the government don't want us to work, except you know they do

It's no wonder people don't go back to work when they have young kids.

NannyL Thu 05-Jul-07 18:29:45

there are some vouchers that you are entitled too...

my bosses use them to pay me...

They each have a 6 figure salary.... they can be used to pay a child minder or a nursey instead of me as well.

My old bosses had them as well and they were on the rich list!

Eddas Thu 05-Jul-07 19:35:01

Ok that's good then. so where do I find out what I am entitled to? I should know really(I'm an accountant) but I don't!!

Should I ask my boss?

I've been onto HMRC's website but it's not very helpful and TBH i don't want to ring the tax credits helpline as I have no faith in any info they give!

Bumbellina Fri 06-Jul-07 11:29:18

I believe if your company has signed up to the childcare voucher scheme it means they can pay you up to £244 per month in childcare vouchers and that is deducted from your salary before calculating tax. So effectively it is £244 taxfree earnings (if you're in a highish bracket that means you're not paying the 40% tax over it). That would mean you'd save app £95 per month so effective childcare cost would be about £145 instead of £244 (if that makes any sense ...)

Eddas Fri 06-Jul-07 12:20:48

well my boss did mention vouchers to me before but my childcare was by SIL, she now has a job and asking her to have 2 dcs my be taking the p just a little.

Ok, i will ask my biss when i next speak to him.

thanks bumbellina

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now